We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary comments

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
17 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary comments

We will be in New Zealand beginning January 7, departing January 28 from Auckland. Please advise if the itinerary below makes sense or if there are other areas we should visit.

We are not doing the west coast primarily because my wife does not enjoy winding mountain roads (plus we just went to Alaska, so we have seen a lot of glaciers recently).

Day1-3 Queenstown (arrive from Melbourne)

Day 4-5 Pick up car drive and stay Te Anau- Milford etc.

Day 6-7 Wanaka

Day 8-9 Mt Cook & Lake Tekapo

Day 10-Fly Christchurch to Wellington late

Day 11 Welington

Day 12-14 Pick up car- Martinborough, wine and more wine

Day 15 Napier

Day 16 Lake Taupo

Day 17-18 Rotorua

Day 19-21 Drop car & stay Auckland

Thank you in advance for any input and improvements

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,513 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary comments

Your trip looks good DP, but if this was my trip I would;

8 drive Lindis Pass to Aoraki/Mt Cook, explore

9 drive to Chch

10 drive to Picton, ferry to Wellington

11 explore...

Some car rentals allow their car on the ferry, some will collect your car in Picton and deliver a fresh car in Wellington, some rental agencies help with the cost of the ferry - check Apex for their rates.

and even though you have seen glaciers I suggest you still check out Tasman glacier's lake at Aoraki/Mt Cook. Only place on the planet you can easily access a terminal lake with icebergs http://www.glacierexplorers.com/

safe travels :)

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
17 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary comments

Thanks for the recommendations. We planned on doing some exploring at Mt Cook, so the glacier expedition looks interesting

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary comments

If you are into your wine I would suggest spending an extra day in Napier/Hawkes Bay rather than Martinborough.

I have found the vineyards there to have much better opening hours and tasting room staff than the ones in Martinborough.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary comments

I would consider dropping a night from Martinborough and adding it to Wellington. Ferry or fly into Wellington, either way you are only allowing yourselves 1 whole day for 'doing' Wellington.

Agree with AntipodeanAnn - need at least two nights in Napier / Hawkes Bay to do the region justice! (Oops region?? I meant wineries!!! Did I mention the bountiful fruit and vegetables or the seafood or the honey or the chocolate shop and more wineries?? ha ha!!)

Consider stopping in Taupo for lunch on route to Rotorua rather than stay the night. (Drive times : Napier to Taupo = approx 2hrs ; Taupo to Rotorua 50mins)

Or take a night from Auckland to add on to Napier?

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
17 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary comments

Thanks, I added a day in Napier and we will lunch in taupo on our way to Rotorua

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary comments

Good choice! If your interest is wineries, then taking out the Taupo day and adding that to Napier makes more sense. I'd still take one of the Martinborough nights out though, and add that to Napier.

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
17 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary comments

Unfortunately the Martinsborough portion of the trip is fixed. However, our plan is to leave Wellington late to Martinborough, which we will leave very early to Napier., so really only 2 days in Martinborough.

One additional question. After looking at the Hawkes Bay area in more detail, my first choice would be to stay in an area like Havelock North for 2 nights, and visit Napier (Art Deco etc) on our way out to Rotorua). What are your thoughts about this.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary comments

Havelock North would be central to all the wineries and in Havelock North they have some great cafes/restaurants. If in the budget, dinner at Craggy Range winery is a well deserved treat!

A visit to The Mission winery in Taradale is another must - spectacular views out to the ocean. Maybe time it for a lunch stop?? Well worth it - both the food, wine and photo ops!

Yes you could stop in Napier on route to Taupo. Go to the iSite (information centre) on the Marine Parade to pick up self-walk Art Deco map.

Ask for directions from Havelock North to the expressway as breakfast or morning tea at Silky Oaks Chocolate factory is a rather special treat - great coffee, food made with love (from local produce) and then a visit into the chocolate factory shop. They also have a gift shop onsite that sells lots of quirky items - always worth a visit if not just for the chocolates!!!

Hope this helps!

9. Re: Itinerary comments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 05:17