We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which city is best for us??

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Which city is best for us??

My boyfriend and I are going to NZ in October for 12 months both on a working holiday visa... He is 31, I am 23... We are both going to be looking for work in hospitality, bars, catering etc...

We have heard a lot of different things about where would be best for us to settle but I was just wondering what all of you thought? We both like to have a drink and a good time with laid back people but are not massive fans of big noisy cities!!! What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,269 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which city is best for us??

Most people with WHVs get work in tourist resorts or horticultural regions rather than cities. It would also be better to spend the summer in a tourist region like Wanaka or Queenstown or Nelson. If you want to try a city to begin with, Wellington might suit as it is small and has a great bar/ cafe scene.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which city is best for us??

I agree with Zhuhai2007 on this one. resort towns during the summer realy buz, and if you want to buz in the winter then the ski resort areas may be what you are looking for. Working up a ski resort often has many privelges to go with it like cheap skiing on days off or during lunch times. accomodation can be more expensive in any of these hot spots when busy, so you may find sharing accomodation your best option. look for positions early in a season or before it gets busy rather than peak season when most posions are full. best of luck and enjoy NZ

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which city is best for us??

I would recommend Queenstown, all the hospitality workers there will be in the same situation as you.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which city is best for us??

Forgive me for sounding stupid but going out there in October would be around the right time to find a job wouldn't it? I suppose what I am getting at is when does their peak season kick off? Thanks :)

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which city is best for us??

Does anyone think it might be possible to do say the summer season in Nelson or Wellington and then go to Queenstown for the winter/ski season? We both love being by the ocean and I suppose we had that as a vision for the summer...

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which city is best for us??

....when does their peak season kick off?....

Nelson is a one season location - summer is busy with tourists and fruit picking, the scene is far quieter through winter.

Wanaka and Queenstown has the bumper summer season, the busy ski season, the art festivals etc of autumn and the active renaissance of spring. There is little down time in this entire region.

Best of luck :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,269 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which city is best for us??

The whole aim of the WHV with its three month max is to encourage you to move around - follow the seasonal harvests or the winter pruning of trees & vines; or the tourist high season from beach to ski resorts. October may be too early for the bar/restaurant scene in the really small beach resorts like Nelson, but if you are flexible there might be asparagus picking/packing or apple thinning etc.

Otherwise you look for the pre-Christmas season/office parties etc in AKl or WLG then move on & risk finding the good bar jobs have already gone!

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which city is best for us??

Oh I didn't realise there was a 3 month max... Having looked more at Queenstown I am kinda falling in love with it...

9. Re: Which city is best for us??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 05:17