We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South-North Island itinerary suggestion

Singapore, Singapore
11 posts
Save Topic
South-North Island itinerary suggestion

Hello All,

I am planning to visit for 14 days to NZ and wish to cover all the scenic and adventurous places from both the islands. I wish to start from south Island as one of my family friend will also accompany us for south part . I need your help in suggesting if below mentioned itinerary will workout or not:

Day 1:

Queenstown (Queenstown attractions)

Night stay in Queenstown

Day 2:

Queenstown (Adventurous sports like sky diving and jet boat)

Night stay in Queenstown

Day 3:

Queenstown to Milford Sound and Lake Te Anau

Night stay in Te Anau

Day 4:

Lake Te Anau to Lake Wannaka and Haast pass

Night stay : Fox Glaciers

Day 5:

Visti Fox Glaciers and night stay

Night stay : Fox Glaciers

Day 6:

Fox glaciers to Hokitika to Grey mouth to Arthur pass

Night stay : Arthur Pass

Day 7:

Arthur Pass to Christchurch to Hammer Springs

Night stay : Hammer Springs

Day 8:

Hammer Springs to Kaikoura to Picton

Night stay : Picton

Day 9:

Picton to Nelson

Night stay : Nelson

Day 10:

Nelson to Wellington to Napier

Night stay : Napier

Day 11:

Napier to Taupo

Night stay :Taupo

Day 12:

Taupo to Rotorua

Night stay : Rotorua

Day 13:

Rotorua to waitomo to Auckland

Night stay : Auckland

Day 14:

Fly to Singapore

I will be very thankful to you if you can guide me in finalizing it so that I can do bookings for car and hotels accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lokesh

California
Level Contributor
7,330 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South-North Island itinerary suggestion

You are trying to squeeze in 4weeks of travel in a two week trip! Generally it's best to travel one day and spend two nights to really enjoy the destination. What time of year you are traveling?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South-North Island itinerary suggestion

Sorry Lokesh you need to replan - NZ is far larger than you think it is. Some of these days are madness.

Plus when do you plan to travel? the short days of mid-winter or the long days of summer?

Day 4: Lake Te Anau to Lake Wannaka and Haast pass Night stay : Fox Glaciers ....Te Anau to Wanaka to Fox - 7 to 8 hours driving!! - add considerably longer for stops for food, rest, sightseeing, photo ops...

Day 10: Nelson to Wellington to Napier.... Nelson to Picton 2 hours, ferry 4 hours, drive to napier 4.5 hours! - over 10 hours of travel!!

a suggestion;

1 arrive Queenstown

2 explore

3 drive to Te Anau

4 explore Milford, stay Te Anau

5 drive to Wanaka - best sky diving in the country

6 drive to Fox

7 explore

8 drive to Arthur's Pass

9 drive to Hanmer Springs

10 drive to Picton

11 ferry to Wellington

12 drive to ....

please plan wisely and travel safe :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,473 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South-North Island itinerary suggestion

Reinforcing what the others are saying - madness for a self drive tour.

Day 3 Take a coach tour from QTN to Milford Sound & back to QTN - sure it is a 13 hr trip but you can sleep on the way back so it is not as stressful for the driver.

Day 4 then becomes QTN to Wanaka-Haast-Fox Glacier - still a long drive but manageable

Day 5. Glacier hike

Day 7. Drive to punakaiki

Day 8 drive to Nelson

9. explore Nelson/ATNP

10. Nelson to Picton to Wellington

11. WLG to Napier or direct to Taupo;

12. Napier or Taupo to Rotorua

Singapore, Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: South-North Island itinerary suggestion

I am planning to travel in November , I know I am squeezing a lot but I am having only two weeks in my hand and hence require your suggestions if I can skip something which is not that important I am flexible to update accordingly... Kindly help in making it such a way so that I can cover the most part in these 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance...

Singapore, Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: South-North Island itinerary suggestion

Hi WLNZ,

Thanks for your valuable suggestion.

Is it possible in below manner:

1) Arrive Queenstown & Explore (I am not much interested in exploring cities only wish to see highlights)

2) Drive to Milford sound and explore , come back in night to te anau

3) explore Te Anau and drive to Wanaka for night stay

4) Explore Wanaka and haast paas (skydiving)

5) Drive to Glaciers and explore

7) Explore Glaciers and drive to Arthur pass

8) Explore Arthur pass and drive to christchurch to Hammer Springs( my friend will not be continuing in North)

9) Explore HAmmer springs and drive to kaikoura

10)Kaikoura to Nelso or Picon (Please suggest which one to pick)

11) Nelso or Picton to Taupo

12) Taupo to Rotoura

13) Rooura to waitomo

14) waitomo to Auckland

I am sure the plan I am making is much more hectic but as I said I am having only 14 days in my hand so if you think any of above mentioned spots are not "must watch" tupe then I can skip them to make it more comfortable and enjoyable.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lokesh

Singapore, Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: South-North Island itinerary suggestion

Thanks zhuhai for your valuable suggestions,

I assume you are asking me to skip Arthur pass,Hammer springs,kaikoura if so am I missing something worth watching or can I skip all to make it more comfortable.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lokesh

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South-North Island itinerary suggestion

For day 10, I don't see the point of going to Nelson, as you won't have time to do anything there that day. You might as well just go to Picton where you can catch the ferry. Day 11 would still be busy, with the ferry trip and then a road journey to Taupo, so another day without really stopping to see or do anything. I suggest staying in Wellington, then driving to Taupo the following day. If you want to see Waitomo, do on the day you drive to Auckland.

Alternatively, after Hanmer Springs, go back to Christchurch and catch a plane to Rotorua. This would allow you to stay a couple of days there and see a bit more of the area. Then you could go to Taupo and Waitomo after that.

Singapore, Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: South-North Island itinerary suggestion

Hi Selsy,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion , I think catching a plane from Christchurch to Rotorua is nice option .

Is it ok skipping Nelson?

I think I can save 2 days if I skip Nelson and instead of staying in waitomo I can go to Auckland so that next day I can see Auckland key attractions and catch my flight in afternoon.

Thanks,

Lokesh

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South-North Island itinerary suggestion

Is it ok skipping Nelson? Well on your originally proposed itinerary you are effectively doing that because you haven't allowed time to do anything except see the inside of a hotel. It is better to visit fewer places and allow sufficient time during daylight hours to look at the scenery and sights.

Everyone has there own preferences about what they would enjoy most, so I can't speak for you and say that it is ok to miss Nelson. What I can say is that you need to cut several places from your itinerary and, if you decide you must go to Nelson, something else will have to go.

California
Level Contributor
7,330 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: South-North Island itinerary suggestion

Okay, November. At least you have longer daylight hours and little chance of ice on the roads.

For Milford Sound, either take a coach/cruise tour roundtrip from Queenstown. Or spend 2 nights in Te Anau and either drive yourself or take a coach tour from there. The QTN>Milford>Te Anau leaves you no option but to drive yourself and thats 7.5 hours on the road! Hardly fun or relaxing.

Are you locked in to getting your friend back to CHC? Because as I see it, after the glaciers, (insert a night at Hokitika, Punakaiki, or Arthurs Pass if you go that direction) you can either stay on the West Coast and go to Nelson for a couple of nights OR cross Arthurs Pass and go up the East side. That is, if you are keen to do the ferry crossing. Hanmer Springs is a bit out of the way and I'd probably cut that out. The ferry crossing is 3.5 hours long, and you have to allow time for check-in, so it takes a big chunk out of your day. And it doesn't sound like you're interested in Wellington.

If you opt to fly out of CHC to Rotorua, you could cross Arthurs Pass and include Hanmer Springs and Kaikoura as a mini-loop (spend a night in one of those places).

And minor issue with Day 4 of your most recent plan.... Haast Pass is the route between Wanaka to Glaciers. No need to explore it on your day in Wanaka.