We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for Christmas and New Year 2013

D C
Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Ideas for Christmas and New Year 2013

We are a family of 4 with flights booked in to Auckland arriving 14 December and flying out again on 2 Jan. This means that we will be there for both Xmas and New Year. I am just starting to plan our itinerary. We want to do North and South Island and intend having a camper van for some of the time - probably not all, as I think we would find it impossible to live on top of each other for 3 weeks!

Do you have any suggestions for what would be good to do for Xmas and New Year? I wondered whether being in a hotel would be a good idea - and if so, what recommendations do you have?

Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,513 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for Christmas and New Year 2013

I would start by planning an itinerary, then look at dates to see where Christmas falls, rather than plan Christmas and craft an itinerary around it.

If here for 3 weeks I suggest a campervan for your 5 or 6 days in the North Island and a car for the longer distances and more rugged terrain of the South island.

Take a look at the many 3 week itineraries posted here on the forum to help you get started. Once you know where you hope to go, post here for our comments.

Happy planning :)

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for Christmas and New Year 2013

I would suggest booking a bach (holiday home), for a couple of days over Christmas at least. How old are your children?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for Christmas and New Year 2013

I was going to suggest the same as a Ann . A holiday house for a couple of nights for each in a nice location would be ideal. We did that in France and it was one me our best Christmas. You will need to get on with it to book a house in a popular place, esp for New Year. There are a couple of websites we have used to book houses around N Z over the years. One is holidayhouses.co.nz and the other might be bookabach.co.nz

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for Christmas and New Year 2013

A holiday home is a great idea for a family over Christmas and/or New Year.

We've used ' holidyayhouses.co.nz ' on our previous visits and shall be doing so again this year.

We haved an apartment booked for Christmas in Wanaka and a house on Stewart Island for the New Year.

You will have more room to spread yourselves out,open small gifts etc. and can choose to cook your own special meals or eat out.If planning to eat out do remember that most restaurants have an extra charge over holidays and you'd also need to book in advance.

Tauranga
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for Christmas and New Year 2013

Depending on where you want to stay, over the Christmas New Year period most baches will have a minimum stay period, usually a week. Motels and hotels would be a better idea for shorter periods.

D C
Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for Christmas and New Year 2013

Thanks for your responses. We will look into these suggestions.

Children not really children - they will be 19 and 14.

I'll post more when we have made some more decisions on an itinerary. I've had a look at some of the trip reports on here, and they are making us very excited about our trip. We realise that we can't do everything, and want to build in some relaxation as well as activities, so the idea of a holiday home for a few days sounds good.

Thanks!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,918 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for Christmas and New Year 2013

My idea of an awesome christmas would be an overnight cruise on doubtful sound. Or in the

queen charlotte sound, such as lochmara or punga cove. But I agree that you need to do iternary first. Many popular tourist places are fully booked over christmas and new year so do make bookings and dont leave to chance. .some places, like Kaiteriteri, golden bay book out the previous year.

8. Re: Ideas for Christmas and New Year 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 06:16