We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed with 6 week trip

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed with 6 week trip

Hi,

My partner and I have just over 6 weeks in New Zealand stating on the 10th of July. We have rented a self contained campervan and will need to hook up in a campsite every third night or so to recharge the batteries, whilst the rest of the time we can be free camping. We fly in to Christchurch and we plan to do a loop of the South Island before crossing on the ferry and we will fly out of Aukland (where we will leave the camper van). We think 4 weeks in the South Island and 2 weeks in the North Island as a rough guide by what we have heard so far.

We have a small budget, but would love to get a couple of days skiing in there somewhere and a glacier walk. I would love to do a sky dive as well.

We are hoping to get some pointers or advice on where is a must see, places to be and things to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks

Ultimate Hikes
Hiking & Camping Tours
Trips & Tramps
Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours
Canyoning Queenstown
Canyoning & Rappelling Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Hiking New Zealand
Hiking & Camping Tours
California
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed with 6 week trip

First off, there will be opinions from the experts about the wisdom of a campervan in July. You may want to reconsider. Nights will be Cold! And you can't just freedom camp anywhere and may very well get you an on-the-spot fine of $200.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,855 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed with 6 week trip

Welcome to the Forum. 4 weeks is a great time to travel around the SI. You should be able to do a pretty thorough circuit in that time. Head west to Punakaiki, glaciers, Wanaka, Queenstown/Te Anau/Milford Sound, then Dunedin, Mt Cook & back to Chch, Kaikoura, Picton.

Free camping is illegal in many parts of NZ so I hope that you mean "remote camping" eg DoC sites rather than "free"! It will be pretty cold so you may need power hookups most nights.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed with 6 week trip

Hi,

Yes, camping at the DoC sites is what I meant, which is why it was important for the camper to be fully self sufficient.

We know its going to be cold so will have plenty of warm clothes.

Thanks for the advice on the South Island :)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed with 6 week trip

With that much time you might want to check Stewart Island for a day or two. You'd need to stay at a hostel or hotel there though, since there's no bridge over the Foveaux Strait (amazing ferry ride through such a rough section of sea!). Just amazing rainforest and your only real chance to see a kiwi bird in the wild.

Edited: 22 May 2013, 18:36
Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed with 6 week trip

The freedom camping rules in the South Island have relaxed a bit, if you aren't wanting to be right in town then there are places you can camp for free.

This is the link to the Queenstown Lakes District Council Freedom Camping Maps.

…govt.nz/images/content/your_council/Freedom…

Edited: 22 May 2013, 22:23
Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed with 6 week trip

For the North Island leg of your trip my suggestions would be:

Wellington - Te Papa, Cable Car, great cafes

Martinborough - the top 10 here is great, walking distance to town and vineyards

Napier/Hastings - the Clifton Road Reserve (about 25 minutes from Napier) it is a Council approved freedom camping site for self contained vehicles. Absolute beach front and free, with the tour to the Cape Kidnappers gannets further down the road. Fish & Chip shop across the road

Taupo - Huka Falls, thermal pools, greatlaketaupo.com/content/library/Campervan…

Rotorua - mud pools, geysers, thermal pools, Maori experience

Waihi/Karangahake Gorge - working gold mine, historic gold mine, fantastic walks and cycle way

Coromandel - Driving Creek Railway, mussel tasting, Hot Water Beach, Cathedral Cove

Auckland - Takapuna Beach Holiday Park - if it is still open

Edited: 22 May 2013, 22:55
Auckland Central...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed with 6 week trip

Altough I didn't travel in a campervan when I did I meet some cool people and I have some good information for you!

in this website you can look for the freedom campsites for campervans and also the paid ones.

http://www.nzmca.org.nz/

I agree with your time splitting for both islands. If you want to ski I think it is cheaper in the south island. And even if you are short in budget there is a bunch of activities that you can do for free.

I heard of some people who went to the helicopter companies for visiting the glacier and got a really cheap price as they were filling in one of the helicopters, that means that you have to be lucky or wait in order to get some spare seats in the helicopter, but it is so much cheap, probably like 50% off.

For the skydiving check this website, they normally have some good discounts for skydiving.

http://www.grabone.co.nz/home

If you want to read this post, there it explain some very good spots in the south island, and there is some pictures too. but Lake pukaki it is a must see and there is freedom camping, also for campervans.

…blogspot.co.nz/2013/05/it-seems-to-me-i-spe…

I hope the information it is useful and that you have a wonderful trip in New Zealand

8. Re: Advice needed with 6 week trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:17