We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fox Glacier & Lake Matheson walk.

Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fox Glacier & Lake Matheson walk.

I have been trying to get more description and details of this walk but I cant find them anywhere. I wrote to the Lake Matheson Cafe but they did not reply me. Hope someone can give the answers for the followings:

1) How much time to I need to walk from the Ivory Towers to the Lake, do the circuit, reach the 3 viewing platforms and return to Ivory Towers ? Can I do it from 9am to 12noon ? I have to catch the Nakedbus by 1 pm.

2) Beside the Lake Matheson, will I get to see the face of Lake Glacier closely ? Or are they different direction or location ?

3 ) Is it good to do this walk by late june ?

4) If I dont have enough time, are there any transport between Ivory Towers and the lake ?

Thank you in advance.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,631 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fox Glacier & Lake Matheson walk.

1 - the lake is about 5kms from Fox township and it takes about 1.5 hours to walk around the lake - so how fast can you walk? …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

2 - the face of Lake Glacier?

3 - if it isn't snowing or pouring with rain, then yes

4 - best to ask your accommodation - you can possibly hitch a lift with other guests in the morning.

hope this helps :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fox Glacier & Lake Matheson walk.

Really this can be accomplished in next to no time....we did them both in a morning and that wasn't pushing it at all. They say it takes a good 2 hours to do the Matheson walk, but we walked round (taking photos etc) in around 1 hour. You can see our photos on our blog, sa-moorei.blogspot.com....just look for the post on pancake rocks and glaciers.

California
Level Contributor
9,084 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fox Glacier & Lake Matheson walk.

Sa-moorei, the OP is walking from Fox township, they do not have a car.

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fox Glacier & Lake Matheson walk.

Sorry I hadn't quite twigged you were walking from town to the Lake. Still should be possible in a morning, if you start at 8ish. Weather might be grim though.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fox Glacier & Lake Matheson walk.

Make an early start to try and get the walk to yourself. Last time we arrived at the walk at 0730 and by the time we left about 0900 there was a few coaches in the carpark. Just after sunrise and just before sunset are the best times as the lake is the stillest so can see some great reflections.

6. Re: Fox Glacier & Lake Matheson walk.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 06:18