We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my parents are comin to nz for 4wks over xmas need help??!!

ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
my parents are comin to nz for 4wks over xmas need help??!!

hey, my parents are coming out this dec 19/2013 to jan 21/2014, they fly in and out of Auckland and I live in wellington. they are coming over from Ireland and its there first time doing a trip like this (first time my dads been on plane!!!). there are both late sixties but active and enjoy anything that's outdoors love walking, beaches, both gardeners etc. I haven't travelled much of the south island, so was thinking it might be a nice place to spend over xmas day and possibly get a holiday home, bbq dinners etc.

there are so many options I want them to get a good feel for nz but not be totally exhausted from travelling. I was thinking of maybe getting a holiday home over the week of xmas and that we could use it as a base to see other spots, but I cant decide where would be good.so overall I was thinking maybe two weeks or more in south island and then up to wellington and do rotorua and maybe corromandel.

I will hire a car for south island, but we will have our own transport in welly. I would like to have all of the accommodation sorted over xmas and new years. we have people to visit and stay with in rotorua and Hamilton.

I would be so very grateful to any ideas on an itinerary for this, as it is pretty much going to be the biggest thing they have done in years, so just looking to give them a true kiwi experience and send them home smiling.

cheers gem

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Hamilton
Hamilton
Waikato Region, New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,144 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: my parents are comin to nz for 4wks over xmas need help??!!

Hi Gem :)

You will need to book a place for Christmas quite smartly - many places will already be booked for the holiday season as the same families return each year.

Two areas I suggest

Abel Tasman National park - excellent beaches, walks, kayaking, glorious weather - consider Kaiteriteri - it will be busy but not anywhere as crowded as you would see in Europe.

Wanaka and Queenstown - Queenstown has the more stunning scenery but also the larger crowds. Wanaka is a wee gem beloved by Kiwi families for it's relaxed lifestyle.

Check holiday homes, bookabach etc for possibilitlies and book asap. Once you have that booked you can then craft a trip around the fixed dates.

Happy planning :)

Mentioned in this post
Abel Tasman National Park
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
Kaiteriteri
Kaiteriteri
Wanaka
Wanaka
Otago Region, New Zealand
Queenstown
Queenstown
Kiwi International Hotel
Kiwi International Hotel
750 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand
ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: my parents are comin to nz for 4wks over xmas need help??!!

hey thank you so much. iv booked a holiday home in Wanaka for the week of Christmas so happy days. jeez people do book early here- I was starting to panic!! so hopefully we will get to see plenty by doing small trips around. then we are gonna head off up haast pass and spend from sun 29 dec till about the 4th jan driving up towards picton to get the ferry, not sure where would be good for new years thou, any ideas??

tanx a million for the help :)

Mentioned in this post
Wanaka
Wanaka
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,144 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: my parents are comin to nz for 4wks over xmas need help??!!

Well done, you will love Wanaka :)

29 drive Haast Pass to Franz Josef

30 explore glaciers

31 stay put or drive to Punakaiki - book accommodation in either place asap!!

1 recover, drive to Neslon

2/3 explore Abel Tasman National Park

4 drive to Picton, ferry to Wellington

Mentioned in this post
Wanaka
Wanaka
Haast Pass
Haast Pass
135 Reviews
South Island, New Zealand
Franz Josef
Franz Josef
Westland National Park (Te Wahipounamu), New Zealand
Punakaiki
Punakaiki
West Coast Region, New Zealand
Picton
Picton
Marlborough Region, New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: my parents are comin to nz for 4wks over xmas need help??!!

Punakaiki would be a lovely place to spend New Years. We also enjoyed a few days at Westport one summer holiday. Also, anywhere in the Nelson area is lovely too. If you had the time, Golden Bay would be definitely worth a visit. Another more out of the way alternative would be Karamea. This is north of Westport and 'end of the road'. It is an interesting area and very scenic at that time of year. Hope you enjoy your Christmas in Wanaka, and that the weather is awesome! Good choice indeed :)

Mentioned in this post
Punakaiki
Punakaiki
Westport
Westport
Nelson
Nelson
Golden Bay
Golden Bay
Wanaka
Wanaka
5. Re: my parents are comin to nz for 4wks over xmas need help??!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 13:25
6. Re: my parents are comin to nz for 4wks over xmas need help??!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 07:17