We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 days South Island Self-Drive Itinerary November 2013

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
12 days South Island Self-Drive Itinerary November 2013

Hi guys! Just need some help and advice looking at this itinerary. I do apologize if this is already identical to something available online as I've been trying to find one to avoid double-posting. We're traveling in a party of 4. Friends for 12 years and our second self-drive following last year's Sydney-Melbourne coastal drive.

1 arrive CHC day time. Free and easy

2 drive to Mt Cook and stay overnight for stargazing?

3 drive to Queenstown stay overnight

4 drive to Te Anau stay overnight

5 drive to Milford Sound for ferry cruise and drive back to Queenstown stay overnight

6 drive to Wanaka stay overnight

7 drive to Franz Josef (not sure where to stop and stay)

8 drive to Greymouth stay overnight

9 drive to Kaikoura (is this drive too long?)

10 drive back to CHC

As you can see I have a free day or two to play with. Also is the Tranzalpine a must-do? if so, how can i tweak the itinerary to squeeze it in? Do let me know whether this is a do-able trip. Don't feel bad at swearing at me if there's a crazy leg in there I didn't realize. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Kento

Oz
Level Contributor
12,504 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 days South Island Self-Drive Itinerary November 2013

Hi,

What time of the year are you visiting? The road into Milford can be problematic in winter and spring.

Your itinerary looks pretty good. I would add a night to Mt Cook and Fox or Franz Joseph and leave out Greymouth and Kaikoura on this trip and travel direct from the glaciers back to Christchurch via Arthurs Pass.

Cheers,

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 days South Island Self-Drive Itinerary November 2013

Hi there!

Thanks for the quick reply!

We're going to do this 2nd half of November this year. Will Milford Sound still be fine? Greymouth is more like a stopover to break up the journey (or if we do the Tranzalpine). Kaikoura is in there because we heard about the whales and November seems like a good time to see them, or so I heard. ;) so can this still work?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,622 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 days South Island Self-Drive Itinerary November 2013

Te Anau to MS to Queenstown is a long day. Better to stay 2nights in Te Anau, a lovely wee town. then add in at least one or both your "spare" days in QTN.

Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 days South Island Self-Drive Itinerary November 2013

I'd definitely recommend using your spare days in Queenstown and Franz Josef - both small towns but with absolutely beautiful scenery and lots to do. In terms of where to stay in Franz Josef, Rainforest Retreat is a great place with options of dorms,private rooms/lodges and independent camping facilities. Has also got a good bar/restaurant and is only a couple of minutes walk from the main road.

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 days South Island Self-Drive Itinerary November 2013

Thanks for the input! I'll check back with my friends on the suggestions you guys gave. Looks like we're on the right track! ;)

6. Re: 12 days South Island Self-Drive Itinerary November 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 06:16