We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 day honeymoon to New Zealand help w/ recommendations

Ogden, Utah, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
15 day honeymoon to New Zealand help w/ recommendations

My husband and I will be traveling Sep 14-30 from LAX to Auckland New Zealand for our honeymoon. We have flights planned to Auckland where we stay for 2 nights, then to Rotorua for 2 nights, then to Christchurch for 3 nights and to Queenstown for the remainder of our trip flying out from Queenstown- Auckland-LAX the final day. We are not opposed to renting a car to travel beyond the flight destination cities.

I have traveled to the South Island 11 years ago, and my husband has never been to either island. We are huge fans of wine tasting, beer tasting, out door activities, Lord Of The Rings, but we don't want to overwhelm ourselves, after all iris our honeymoon/ vacation.

We are looking for advice on where to travel, what to do, sight seeing, hotels (budget friendly but nice for a honeymoon), tour recommendations, dinning. I fell in love with NZ when I was there and I want my husband to feel the same thing. Thank you so much for any and all advice and recommendations you can offer us.

Tiana

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Transport Me
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Private Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours
The Waiheke BBQ Tour
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Unique Tours
Beer Tastings & Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Walking Tours
Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours Ltd
Beer Tastings & Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,554 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 day honeymoon to New Zealand help w/ recommendations

Welcome to TA & congratulations on choosing NZ for your honeymoon! It is a pity you didn't contact the Forum before booking your flights as it would have made more sense to drive from Chch to Queenstown over 2-3 days, via either the Glaciers or Mt Cook, rather than making day trips from Queenstown. Can you cancel the CHC-ZQN flight?

Assuming you are stuck with 7-8 days in the Queenstown region, consider a minimum of 2 nights in Te Anau so you can take a day tour to Milford Sound; and a couple of nights in Wanaka. Do you plan to ski?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 day honeymoon to New Zealand help w/ recommendations

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding and welcome to the forum.

What time do you arrive in Auckland and also depart i.e how much time do you have overall in Auckland?

If you basically have one day to look around then there are a number of options which could include - ferry ride over to Waiheke Island of food and wine and also a good way to see the harbour - a trip out to the Waitakere Ranges for stunning beaches and scenery.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 day honeymoon to New Zealand help w/ recommendations

Congratulations on your honeymoon :)

Spend some time in Wanaka - Time Life named it a top ten romantic destination in the world !

Enjoy :)

Ogden, Utah, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 day honeymoon to New Zealand help w/ recommendations

Wow, what a wonderful forum and so quick with your responses. We arrive in AUK at 5:45am, some people I have seen recommended hoping a ferry to Waiheke Island as soon as we land and spending time there instead of in AUK proper. If so where is a good place to stay in either Auk or the Island and what are must hit wineries/dinning establishments there?

We leave out of Queenstown for Auk on Sep 30 at 440pm and out of Auk for LAX at 1030pm.

We bought the kiwi pass which gave us flights to 4 citiets around NZ for very inexpensive, but we are not opposed to skipping our flight from Christchurch to Queenstown and instead driving. We arrive in Christchurch on Sep 20 at 1230pm and aren't scheduled to leave Queenstown for Auk until Sep 30th. If we drive, what are your recommendations to see, stay and preferred route?

Getting so excited, thank you for the replies.

Tiana

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 15 day honeymoon to New Zealand help w/ recommendations

Hi Tiana. A trip to NZ is always special and combined with a honeymoon you will want everything to be just right.Do try to get to places out of the cities.Akaroa is an easy day from Christchurch as is Kaikoura.Wanaka is just lovely and shouldn't be missed.

Now, I am no expert on flights but do check the conditions of your air travel carefully as if you have all the flights on the one ticket you may find cancelling a section will automatically cancel the subsequent flights.Do check carefully that you can miss out a flight .I could be wrong about this but worth checking anyway.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 15 day honeymoon to New Zealand help w/ recommendations

MG, that was my first thought too.

Tiana, if you skip one sector of a flight on a multi-flight ticket it often cancels the remaineder of the ticket. Check the conditions of your Kiwi Pass carefully.

best of luck :)

Ogden, Utah, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 15 day honeymoon to New Zealand help w/ recommendations

Thank you all so much for letting me know about this. If we can infant skip a leg and decide to drive can anyone help with a suggested itinerary of what we should do and where we should stay? Thank you so much.

Tiana

8. Re: 15 day honeymoon to New Zealand help w/ recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 05:16