We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand Rental Car options

3 posts
Save Topic
New Zealand Rental Car options

Has anyone hired from Snap Rentals (http://www.snaprentals.co.nz) in New Zealand. I see their prices are competitive, but just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with them in New Zealand.

We are looking to collect a car in Auckland and return in Christchurch and I see they offer this with no one way fees.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,178 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand Rental Car options

I have never heard of this company until raised here. Having checked out their website they appear to be a small operation with only two types of older vehicles.

I can only make the comment I always make about cut price car rentals and that is choose your car rental company based on level of service at a fair price rather than based on price alone.

If everything goes fine a great deal, but if you break down in the Catlins or the Far north how are you going to be recovered. Small operations often fall over as far as service goes because it is the easiest way to save money and they don't have the infrastructure to resolve major issues.

As a Christchurch resident have you checked out Apex

New South Wales
Level Contributor
28 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand Rental Car options

We just returned from NZ. We hired a car from Ace just near the airport. Got great service and a great price on the car. Got a used Subaru hatch back, which served us well, and got good gas mileage. Unfortunately we returned it in Wellington and took the ferry on foot and rented again in PIcton from OMEGA Rentals. BAD choice and it got worse. The worse cars ever. Stopped in Christchurch to change cars and got a worse one for more money. I knew they would be used cars but you would think they would make sure they are road worthy first.

There are companies that pay the ferry rate, for the car only, but in the end it cost more. than renting two different cars. It seems the rental rate on the south island is substantially more than the north Island. At least that is what I found.

Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand Rental Car options

You can't go wrong with APEX, they also rent older cars (well maintained) for lower prices. We've been using them on the SI for years, never had a problem.

Edited: 26 September 2013, 10:47
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand Rental Car options

We rented from Apex in Christchurch and had outstanding service. We chose the road trip special and as predicted here got an 2000 Nissan Sunny. I worked just fine and was very comfortable.

5. Re: New Zealand Rental Car options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor