We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 day side trip for a dec wedding itinerary advice please?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
11 day side trip for a dec wedding itinerary advice please?

Hi,

I've been trying to put it together for months and i'm thinking that i'm going to have to start booking hotels soon as it's school holidays so here is my plan so far. We are a family of 4 including 2 boys ages 9 and 7. We're heading to Europe for Christmas so this trip is over and above what we would normally be doing so cost is an issue. We'll be back to do the SI in more detail another trip so we're not bothered about missing it this time :-). The trip to Europe is for skiing so again we're not up for adrenaline activities in NZ this time. Husband is happy to drive and seems to be one of the cheaper options anyway. I'd be grateful for opinions that'll help make it happy and smooth going.

Day 1 - fly to nz

Day2 - arrive Auckland early am (hotel night 1)

Day 3- drive to rotorua (hotel nights 2 and 3)

Day4 explore rotorua

Day 5 drive to taupo (hotel night 4)

Day 6 drive to napier or palmerston north (hotel night 5)

Day 7 drive to wellington (hotel night 6)

Day 8 museum and ferry to picton - drop car 1 (hotel night 7)

day 9 - picton pick up car 2 drive to kaikoura (hotel night 8)

day10 -arrive chc (hotel nights 9, 10,11 )

day 11 explore chc

day 12 wedding

day 13 leave nz

thanks

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,140 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 day side trip for a dec wedding itinerary advice please?

I would visit Napier over Palmerston North as it's a much more interesting and scenic city.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 day side trip for a dec wedding itinerary advice please?

Great, thanks heaps !!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 day side trip for a dec wedding itinerary advice please?

Great, thanks heaps !!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,856 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 day side trip for a dec wedding itinerary advice please?

If your kids are walkers there are plenty of free things you can do eg in Rotorua, Kuirau Park has mudpools & the Government Gardens have steam vents. The Maori Village at Ohinemutu on the lake shore was free last time i visited but I had heard they were asking for "koha" - ie a donation.

With kids, thus I assume, no winery tours, I'd be inclined to drive directly form Taupo to WLG via the Army Museum at Waiouru and spend 2 nights in WLG.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 day side trip for a dec wedding itinerary advice please?

oh thanks they are great suggestions and yup wineries are totally not on our to do list :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 day side trip for a dec wedding itinerary advice please?

I've just returned from a conference in Lake Taupo at the Quality Inn Lake Taupo (choicehotels.co.nz/en/quality-inn-lake-taupo…) and was really impressed at the standard of the accommodation for the price. If you're looking on doing New Zealand on the cheap that's one hotel worth having a look at.

I'd also recommend spending an extra day in Rotorua if possible. Your boys will love all the thermal activity and there's lots to see and do. I would say Rotorua will be a definite highlight for the kids.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 01:01
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 day side trip for a dec wedding itinerary advice please?

Suggest an extra night in Napier so you can do the gannet colony trip via tractor ride along the coast line. it would be a one-off event for your boys!

Perhaps aim to have lunch and walk around Taupo then drive 2hrs to Napier for the night vs staying in Taupo. Drive time Rotorua to Taupo 50mins. You would have time for lunch at Taupo and give the boys a swim at deBretts thermal pools, then drive on to Napier.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 11 day side trip for a dec wedding itinerary advice please?

Rotorua - Skyline gondola & luging; Polynesian Spa or Rotorua Aquatic Centre; Paradise Valley Nature and Lion Park; Rainbow Springs and the Big Splash; Zorbing; mountain biking or walking in Whakarewarewa Forest; Agrodome Farm tours & sheep show; Maori Cultural Show in the evening at Mitai, Tamaki or Te Po - there are many things to do in Rotorua with some not being cheap for a family and others being free. Just allow yourself enough time in Rotorua to enjoy. www.rotoruaNZ.com may help you with your choices.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 11 day side trip for a dec wedding itinerary advice please?

My kids loved Napier at that age. We did the tractor trip to see the gannett colony, and they enjoyed the museum, especially the Joan Wiffen (dinosaur lady) exhibit and the Maori stuff. Personally I would add a night there too.

They also enjoyed the Rotorua museum and the Buried Village in Rotorua, as well as all the thermal stuff. When we were in Rotorua one time we stayed at a holiday park by the lake that had free rowboats to borrow, which was fun.

10. Re: 11 day side trip for a dec wedding itinerary advice please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 07:45