We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 Days in NZ (North & South Island)

malaysia
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
11 Days in NZ (North & South Island)

Hi,

I am doing follow up on previous post -11 Days in NZ (North & South Island). I am getting a bit nervous over my plan after reading the forums over insufficient time for both islands.

a) Would someone please advise if our itinerary can be done?

b) Do we need to book the transports and tour now? Is last week of November a peak session for NZ?

c) What do we wear for the trip - how is the weather in South Island and Mt Cook?

d) How long is daylight hour?

Day 1 – AKL to Queenstown, arrive 2pm Sky Gondola, walk along lake (Rydges Lakeside .

Day 2 – Milford Sound, Coach + Cruise, back to Queenstown.

Day 3 – Day tour to Arrowtown, Remarkables (Connectabus) or Lord of the Ring (by tour)

Day 4 – By coach from Queenstown to Mt Cook Skiplane or heli, Stay in Mt Cook.

Day 5 – Walks in the morning – Tasman Glacier. By coach from Mt Cook to Christchurch (1pm)

Day 6 – Christchurch City Tour (public transport) or Alpine Safari (coach,4WD, Jetboat,

Tranzalpine- by tour)

Day 7 – Christchurch to Picton to Wellington by Inter-Islander train and ferry

Day 8 – Wellington day tour

Day 9 – Wellington to Rotorua by Intercity coach

Maori Cultural & Hangi Dinner

Day 10 – Rotorua - Hobbiton – Auckland (by tour)

Day 11 – Auckland Day Tour (Hop On and Off), Sky tower. Depart AKL at midnight to KUL.

Your advice and comments are highly appreciated. Thanks

TIME Unlimited Tours
Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Hooters Vintage and Classic Vehicle Hire Ltd
Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
Hawkes Bay Express
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,719 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 Days in NZ (North & South Island)

Given your limited time in New Zealand, I would use some internal flights to save time. I would suggest flying Wellington to Rotorua. It will be a long and tiring day on a bus and not particularly enjoyable. Flying will also give you time to sightsee in Rotorua.

Although the ferry across Cook Strait is very scenic, again Day 7 has a lot of travelling. You could fly Christchurch to Wellington.

Even better, you could also rearrange your itinerary by flying direct from Christchurch to Rotorua and spending a day or two there. Your current itinerary has you there only for 1 night, which means that you aren't going to see any of the sights.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 20:11
Oz
Level Contributor
13,354 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 Days in NZ (North & South Island)

Hi,

Selsy makes a very good point about flying. Still IMHO with such limitied time I would visit only one Island.

Cheers,

malaysia
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 Days in NZ (North & South Island)

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I am visiting friends in Wellington so will not skip Wellington. So the day tour will be together with them.

However, with the suggestion of domestic WLG to ROT, I am looking at the flight (10.35am to 11:40am) versus coach (7:45am to 2:50pm).

On Day 10, the tour will bring me to Te Puia Thermal Reserve, Rainbow Springs Nature Park, Agrodome Sheep Show and Hobbiton Movie Set Tour. Tour is from 7.25am to 8:20pm ends to AKL.

Do not want to miss the South Island. The international flights are booked.

From reviews in the forum, the interislander journey is scenic. So hope can enjoy the journey.

Thank you.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,856 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 Days in NZ (North & South Island)

Given your limited time, I think you have planned well. You have 3N in QTN, 2 each in CHC & WLG so not too many 1 night stays. As long as you are aware that it will be very tiring sitting in a coach day after day!

malaysia
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 Days in NZ (North & South Island)

Hi,

Thank you.

How much time allowance for domestic check in? I am checking on how many hours we can save by flight as compare to coach. Is the view from Wellington to Rotorua scenic?

However, the coach will cost NZD25 vs NZD109 by flight.

Do we need to book the last week of Nov flight or coach by now?

Please advise.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,533 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 Days in NZ (North & South Island)

check in times www.airnewzealand.co.nz/domestic-check-in

The flight is scenic if there are no clouds

Are you booking your flight through grabaseat? There are limited discounted seats - the longer you wait, the higher the cost. Just checked the website - late Nov $109 fares are selling out - so better be speedy!

Edited: 09 July 2013, 23:18
malaysia
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 Days in NZ (North & South Island)

Hi,

Is anyone experience the coach ride from Wellington to Rotorua by Intercity from Wellington Center. Any advise?

We may save 3.5 hours of our time but pay NZD80 per person extra if take flight. Thank you

malaysia
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 11 Days in NZ (North & South Island)

Hi,

Is anyone experience the coach ride from Wellington to Rotorua by Intercity from Wellington Center. Any advise?

We may save 3.5 hours of our time but pay NZD80 per person extra if take flight. Thank you

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 11 Days in NZ (North & South Island)

I have done the coach ride from Palmerston North to Rotorua , We had to transfer bus in Taupo to catch the connecting bus to Rotorua and the bus was late, making a 6 hour trip a 7.5 hour trip. Was boring with screaming children on the bus, limited room to move or get comfortable in your seat, and unless you get a seat on the left of the bus the scenery is pretty much the same the entire journey.

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 11 Days in NZ (North & South Island)

I mean this in the nicest way possible but. what is an extra $80 to fly from one city to another when you have already paid so much to visit our country and explore our scenery, culture, the people, tourism attractions etc., in the first place.

Traveling by coach is a waste of time that you could be better spending elsewhere especially with so few days in NZ, as much as the ferry trip is nice, its long and is terrible on wet cloud filled day on choppy water, made worse if you or traveling companion get sea sick. (personal opinion)

Domestic flights in NZ you only need to check in roughly 30 minutes before the flight so you are traveling from A to B in less time giving you more time to explore destinations such as wellington, Rotorua and Auckland.

Either way i hope you enjoy your trip no matter what you decide.

- Jess