We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winging it

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
491 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Winging it

Taking a short trip to NZ late Sept-Hawaiian air had an airfare we couldn't pass up

My husband and I had been there in '90 for a month and he has been back twice to do the Milford and Routebourn tracks and had been wanting to go back but were held back by the high airfares

Since it was spur of the moment we don't have as much time as we'd like

Total of 9 nights.

Get in late and plan to do an airport motel the first night.Fly down to Christchurch and tentatively drive down to Akaroa and stay the night

After that it is open for the next 6 nights

Really hate to plan too much,which is pretty unusual for me

is it going to be a problem to just go where the road takes us and find accommodation each night or two?

hope to make it to Queenstown and back.Is that doable?

Primarily are there for the scenery and short hikes along the way

Thanks for any help

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,563 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winging it

Welcome back! In 8 - 9 days it is possible to do a circuit from CHC to Queenstown back to CHC, but what did you see last time?

Personally, I'd leave Akaroa until the end for 2 reasons - the West Coast is better travelled from N to S, and it gives you an easy drive on the last day. Here is what I would do (although I'm confused about 8 or 9 nights?)

1. AKL

2. Fly to Chc, drive to Hokitika or Punakaiki

3. Drive to FJG (2N)

4. Explore glaciers

5. Glaciers to Wanaka or Queenstown

6. Drive to QTN; explore

7. QTN to Mt Cook

8. Mt Cook to Akaroa

9. Akaroa to Chch -fly to AKL?

Hope this helps.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
491 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winging it

. The 9 nights unfortunately includes the night at the airport after we arrive as well as one night in the Auckland area at the end.. Want to do Akaroa the next day as we really don't want to do much driving after such a long trip, and wanted someplace close and scenic.Mistakes on the road can be made when one is tired and driving on the other side of the road :0(

So still can cross over and then follow your suggestions.will finding accommodation be a problem?

Since it is barely spring and bound to be wet I want the ultimate flexibility in bailing out on plans and making new ones

3. Re: Winging it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 05:17