We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit in the calendar year

Mumbai (Bombay...
8 posts
Save Topic
Best time to visit in the calendar year

Hi,

My name is Vishal and I am from India. I, along with my brother have shortlisted this country along with few others to visit sometime in November/December this year.

But since we are apprehensive about the weather over there during those two months, we are re-thinking the option of visiting New Zealand (possibly rule it out at that time of the year and plan it for some other time); and we may finalise some other place as our tourist destination.

Can you please let me know the best time in the calendar year, to visit this beautiful country?

If we can visit it in November or December, then we might actually give it a shot.

Thanks and regards,

Vishal Iyer.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit in the calendar year

November and December are usually pretty good. The weather in New Zealand can be changeable and unpredictable at any time. February is the most settled month in many parts of the country - for warm-weather touring my preference would be to start a trip after Waitangi Day (Feb 6th) when kids go back to school and things get a bit quieter.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,316 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit in the calendar year

What weather are you apprehensive about? We aren't snowbound, we don't have monsoons or wet seasons, we don't have heatwaves, we don't have plagues of locusts...

Nov/Dec can have lovely early summer temps, while the mountains are stunning with the remaining winter snows. What's not to love?

My favourite time of year is Feb/Mar but last Nov/Dec was also stunning weather here in sunny Nelson.

Take a chance, take an adventure and come on down :)

Wellington
Level Contributor
349 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit in the calendar year

I was wondering about the apprehension, too.

Compared to Mumbai, you're not likely to be too hot. It will often be a lot windier, particularly in November. It rains quite a bit in NZ, at any time. In winter it's cold. For an Indian, probably real cold.

The catch in the summer is that although you might not feel hot, we have not so much ozone. Sunburn times are typically about 10 minutes. If you get burned here, you'll remember it. It's a bad burn, and it can happen real fast.

Wear sunscreen, or cover up outside, if you visit in the Summer.

Mumbai (Bombay...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit in the calendar year

ok cheers jean...thank you very much..if there is anything else i need to know about, i will get back to you :)

Thanks,

Vishal.

Mumbai (Bombay...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit in the calendar year

ohh that is definitely encouraging..thanks a lot for your response...

Cheers,

Vishal.

Mumbai (Bombay...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit in the calendar year

Thanks for the tips and information mate. Its really useful. If there is anything i need to clarify, i will get back to you.

Cheers,

Vishal.

Edited: 14 July 2013, 17:03
Mumbai (Bombay...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit in the calendar year

Cheers for the details mate. If there is anything else i need to clarify, i will revert.

Vishal.

8. Re: Best time to visit in the calendar year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 06:16