We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Official Camping New Zealand app from Rankers?

midlands uk
Level Contributor
26 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Official Camping New Zealand app from Rankers?

I have been directed from several websites to this app which claims offline content including all campsites and maps etc. Sounds very useful for our camper van trip in Nov. as we will not have Internet access all of the time.

But it is £10.99 on iTunes with no reviews

Anyone tried it?

Is it worth the cost?

Can anyone recommend an alternative?

Thanks

Ultimate Hikes
Hiking & Camping Tours
Trips & Tramps
Walking Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Canyoning Queenstown
Hiking & Camping Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
Hiking New Zealand
Hiking & Camping Tours
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,158 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Official Camping New Zealand app from Rankers?

Rankers is a very reputable review website for car rentals and the like. For the sake of such a small cost in the overall scheme of things I would take a punt purely on the reputation of the App producers.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Official Camping New Zealand app from Rankers?

The web version is very good. Take a look at it to see if you want to invest in the app.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,534 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Official Camping New Zealand app from Rankers?

Or print off the info here for commercial and DOC sites http://www.camping.org.nz/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Official Camping New Zealand app from Rankers?

We used the web version during our trip last March and found it really slow to load. Also frustrating is that when zooming in you lose the map and end up with a blank page with only the "balloons" that point out the camping grounds. For that reason, we didn't bother purchasing the app. However, it does include ALL camping areas, including places where freedom camping is permitted by the local councils. We had an iPad with a Telecom sim that worked brilliantly fast on all other websites, so not sure why Rankers was so slow. I have since discovered this other site that's pretty good.

http://motorcamps.com/

London, England
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Official Camping New Zealand app from Rankers?

I have no experience with this app, however you can get so many campsite listings and books for free at the local iSites (tourist information centres) all over New Zealand, that it might be a bit redundant. Here's a little article as an overview on camping in NZ:

sandalroad.com/destinations/…

6. Re: Official Camping New Zealand app from Rankers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 12:26
Edited: 23 August 2013, 12:26
midlands uk
Level Contributor
26 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Official Camping New Zealand app from Rankers?

Thanks! Very helpful. Our planning for Nov is slow, but coming along

Appreciate your replies

Lyn

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Official Camping New Zealand app from Rankers?

Hi

I gave just spent to weeks in NZ and did buy the app. It was the best investment for the trip. We have ad a campervan and have ad no problem ith it. I am not sure how it works buti was offline for the trip and I used it on my iPad. It was able to track my whereabouts with no Internet access. It was well worth the money. All of he ites we stayed at we're based on the reviews in the app and overall they were accurate.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Official Camping New Zealand app from Rankers?

Many free apps are now available with camper and motor home rental companies, we used the iconic motorhomes app and that was free and very good. It's downloaded and doesn't need wifi to use. Campsites, restaurants, banks, supermarkets as well as local info. I think it's been developed by tourism radio.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Official Camping New Zealand app from Rankers?

I've just left this review on the Apple store:

If you're looking for an app to help you choose a campsite, a free or paid attraction, public waste water dump station or even just a free overnight campervan stopping place in New Zealand then look no further.

We used this extensively on a 5 week tour and were never let down by either the reviews or the maps. Ok, it maybe costs you £10 but remember that if you download the complete mapset then you've got the whole of NZ on Google Maps on your device, even when there's no Wifi, which is often. That's a godsend when your satnav won't find where you're looking for, it's like having a road atlas that you can zoom in and out to any scale you want.

This really is an app that's worth its weight in gold.