We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days, what would you do?

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
118 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
2 days, what would you do?

It is possible that on a trip to Australia I will have at most 2 days in NZ next July. I want to see something amazingly beautiful. If you had only a limited amount a time in NZ, what would you do? All I have seen of NZ is a short documentary type film related to LOTR. It looks breathtaking, so I really want to fit in a quick trip, even if it means I don't see much. I may never make it back to this part of the world, but I really want to go!

I won't have vehicle (not really keen on driving in a foreign country!), so accessibility is also a consideration. I'm up for train, bus, taxi, whatever.

And any budget airlines between Australia and NZ? The best I see is Jetstar. Anything better than that?

Edited: 23 July 2013, 03:30
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days, what would you do?

2 days?? Your first day will be spent travelling from Bris/Syd or Melb to arrive Auckland, Wellington, Chirstchurch or Queenstown.

Qantas are having a sale to NZ, ends 25 July 2013, may cover your dates for July? Or if you can leave luggage in Australia, buy 7kg carry on, no service, fare from AirNZ.

If you can do it, I'd recommend flying in/out Queenstown. Second option would be fly in/out Auckland, do day bus tour to Hobbiton; spend second day visiting Waiheke Island, coffee-ing at Devonport, lunching Viaduct area.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 03:38
Level Contributor
8,185 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days, what would you do?

Id fly into and spend 2 days in Queenstown. Take a day trip to Milford Sound on one of those days. If you can afford fly to Milford to cut down travel time.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,866 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days, what would you do?

Fly into Queenstown - you can fly direct from a number of Oz cities.

If flying Jetstar be prepared to get no further than the airport - they are notorious for delayed and cancelled flights.

Best to fly Air NZ - they also do trans-Tasman discounts www.grabaseat.co.nz

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days, what would you do?

Fly in and out of Queenstown. What dates in July? If early to mid July then will collide with one or both of Australian/New Zealand school holidays. This means that there will no cheapie fares in and out of Queenstown as loads of Aussies come over for skiing here.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
500 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days, what would you do?

Yep, if you want to see picture perfect NZ in a flash, Queenstown, but avoid Jetstar if you can. Always delayed, so If you only have limited time you don't need that. Get the earliest flight in and the latest one out. I can guarantee you'll want to go back for more!

6. Re: 2 days, what would you do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 05:18