We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30 days In New Zealand Itinerary help.

Brisbane, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
30 days In New Zealand Itinerary help.

Please may you tell me if this is Possible we will be visiting you in November.

We are a couple living in brisbane originally from cairns and this is our first time to visit New Zealand, We are 24 and 26, good health and reasonably fit. We will be having a Motorhome and will share the driving.

South Island Part

Day 1 - Arrive in Christchurch (From Brisbane AU - 2 NIGHTS

Day 2 - Day trip to Akaroa (Penguin tour or sea kayaking)

Day 3 - Lake Tekapo- Star gazing and hot pools -1 NIGHT

Day 4 - Mount cook - Snowboarding - 1 NIGHT

Day 5 - Drive to Queenstown- Jet boating - 3 NIGHTS

Day 6 - Explore and maybe bunjy jump

Day 7 - possible day tour to milford sound, or is there another day tour we should take ?

Day 8 - Drive to Wanaka- puzzling world, dinner at lake - 1 NIGHT

Day 9 - Franz Josef Glaciers- Glacier Tour - 1 NIGHT

Day 10 - Drive to Greymouth - forest walk - 2 NIGHTS

Day 11- Day trip to Pancake rocks and explore the coastal areas

Day 12 - Drive Arthurs pass to Christchurch 1 Night - do luge and gondola experience

Day 13 - Early morning drive to Blenheim ( stop in Kaikoura to do whale or dolphin watching, lunch at kaikoura peninsula and visit Ohau point Seal colony on the way) - 2 nights in Blenheim

Day 14- Winery tour have dinner on the paddle boat down by the river.

Day 15 - Drive to Nelson Via State Highway 56 and stop at Lake Rotoiti on the way - 3 NIGHTS NELSON

Day 16 - Farewell spit tour

Day 17 - Explore

Day 18 - Drive to Picton and catch Ferry to Wellington. (2 Nights in Wellington)

North Island part

Day 19 - Explore (Museum, cafes, wharf, zoo ??)

Day 20 - Drive to Napier Via State highway 2 - 2 NIGHTS

Day 21 - Do the cape kidnappers tour

Day 22 - Drive to Taupo - Lake walk, prawn farm, parasailing (1 Night)

Day 23 - Drive to Tongoriro national park and do the crossing walk (spend night here ??)

Day 24 - Drive to Waitomo, do caving/glow worm tours and then drive to Rotorua. - 3 NIGHTS

Day 25 - See geothermal activity and visit Rainbow springs to see a kiwi.

Day 26 - Maori Culture experience and Zorb

Day 27 - Breakfast at Lake, drive to hobbiton tour (LOTR) in Matamata on way to Whitianga - 2 NIGHTS

Day 28 - Explore (Hot water beach, Cathedral cove)

Day 29 - Drive to Auckland Via Coromandal town and the pacific coast highway (Stay in Auckland)

Day 30 - Morning boat tour to Waiheke island, visit one of the museums, spend night before early flight home.

Please can you tell me if these driving times and distances are okay ?

Any other advice would be nice

Thanks

Ellie and James

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,291 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30 days In New Zealand Itinerary help.

Welcome to the NZ Forum, Elie. You have planned well but just a few comments:

Day 2 - you are in a campervan so why return to Chch? Stay the night at Akaroa and head directly to Lake Tekapo next day.

Day 4 - "snowboarding"???? November is spring so no snow anywhere - and there are no skifields on Mt Cook anyway!! You used to be able to ski the Tasman glacier by skiplane - I've done it several times but I think that has stopped, at least in the warmer months.

Day 7 - do not attempt to drive a camper van all the way to MS for just a day. By coach it is a 13 hour day. If you don't want to squeeze a day from somewhere else, take a coach tour instead.

9/10 - better to spend 2 nights at or near FJG (Lake Mapuarika has a great DoC site) & only 1 at Greymouth or Punakaiki

Day 23 - you really need to stay 2 nights in the Tongariro NP area as the Crossing is a long day. Do be aware that you might need to schedule a "flexible day" in case of bad weather. If the crossing is important be prepared to drop Waitomo Caves or one of the Rotorua days.

Have a great time in NZ!!

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 30 days In New Zealand Itinerary help.

sounds good to me

Edited: 26 July 2013, 03:45
Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30 days In New Zealand Itinerary help.

Sounds good to me if you take into account what Zhuhai has suggested.

Also note your trip from Wellington to Napier is a long drive, so allow for the entire day to drive there, and stop at some of the awesome beaches/ waterfalls/light houses/ wineries and walks along the way.

I agree with dropping a night at Waitomo to do the Tongoriro crossing you could always go to Waitomo as a day trip from Rotorua as the drive is not that long.

- Jess

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 30 days In New Zealand Itinerary help.

Day 22 - Drive to Taupo - Lake walk, prawn farm, parasailing (1 Night)

Day 23 - Drive to Tongoriro national park and do the crossing walk (spend night here ??)

I'd suggest swapping these days around. Napier - Tongoriro; follow Zhuhai's advice and stay two nights. If need be, skip staying in Taupo for the night. Get to Taupo in time for lunch and wander around the lakeside, then drive on to Waitomo - which as has been suggested could be done as a day trip from Rotorua rather than staying 3 nights.

For campervan accommodation in Napier I can recommend Snapper Park at Bayview.

Brisbane, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 30 days In New Zealand Itinerary help.

would this be better?

Day 21 - Do the cape kidnappers tour

Day 22 - Drive to Tongoriro National Park (Via a stop in Taupo, Huka falls, lunch at lake and parasailing) -2 nights

Day 23 - do the Tongoriro crossing walk.

Day 24 - Drive to Rotorua via West side of the lake Taupo. - Rotorua Duck tour ( 3 nights )

Day 25 - Geothermal activity , Zorb ,Rainbow springs to see a kiwi. and Maori cultural evening

Day 26 - Day trip to Waitomo - Black water rafting and the glow worm caves

Day 27 - Breakfast at Lake, drive to hobbiton tour (LOTR) in Matamata on way to Whitianga - 2 NIGHTS

Brisbane, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 30 days In New Zealand Itinerary help.

Day 26 - Day trip to Waitomo - Black water rafting and the glow worm caves.

I guess it would be easier to stay in Waitomo and go to Matamata and Whitianga from here, Is there any where nice to park up / stay for the night in Waitomo area with Camper ?

I am so used to staying in Accommodation, I keep forgetting we are going to be driving around with our beds, so no need for day trips and back tacking all the time.

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 30 days In New Zealand Itinerary help.

Hi Ellie! How was your trip? I would vey much appreciate your thoughts and suggestions for what you liked and didn't and what you'd change for a do-over. I'm working on my itinerary for 35 days in January/February 2014. So much to see and do, so little time!!!

Thanks very much for your thoughts!

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
85 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 30 days In New Zealand Itinerary help.

Riarita-- We are planning a trip in 2015 for 35 days, January and February. Would you mind sharing your itinerary? Thanks!

9. Re: 30 days In New Zealand Itinerary help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:19