We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland accommodation

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland accommodation

Just trying to decide where to stay in auckland for 3Nights. Need to be on an 8am flight to CCH on a Sunday...envisage easy traffic. Will be travelling wi hubby and Miss 10&8.

Was thinking of staying at jet park hotel at airport as easy access...just worried it may be noisy being close to airport. Also wondering how soundproof 3story building would be eg noise between floors and rooms

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,115 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland accommodation

If you check the TA reviews, the most current comment is that the hotel is surprisingly quiet tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g255580-d257258…

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland accommodation

Are you looking for somewhere for the whole three nights or just the last one? Staying out at the airport would be an unusual choice - it is a bit of a desert when it comes to food and attractions. Staying central city, perhaps an apartment so there are separate rooms for you and the kids, is likely to work out better. Not that Jet Park would be a bad choice - I have stayed there and its fine.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland accommodation

Really wouldn't bother us to stay there for the 3n because we will have a car. Issue with CBC accommodation is that most don't have car park guaranteed

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland accommodation

Staying in CBD is so convenient to see sights and soak up atmosphere though. Stroll along harvour, day cruise, close to kelly tarltons, mission bay and so many restaurants.

there are a few on the skirts of the city with parking.

but driving into town and out again at peak traffic is best avoided. So being based in town is so convenient for sights.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland accommodation

A useful compromise might be to look at hotels in the Greenlane/Ellerslie/Epsom areas - quite a bit more going on, close to the motorway for easy links elsewhere and still fairly close to the airport for your final getaway.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland accommodation

I've stayed at the Jetpark, and it is quiet, however I would use it only for overnight accommodation prior to a flight. It is in a semi-industrial area with no restaurants nearby.

NZBarry's suggestion of Greenlane/Ellerslie/Epsom is good. Also think about Parnell - I've stayed at the Barrycourt which has free on-site parking, as does the Rose Park Hotel further down the road.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auckland accommodation

540 on Great South Motel

How bout this place? Reviews seem positive...

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auckland accommodation

It is in Otahuhu, which is an interesting choice - not the flashest of suburbs and has cheap Vietnamese and Malaysian cafes.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Auckland accommodation

Ok...reassessing again...how about either Novotel ellerslie or quest Parnell?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Auckland accommodation

These are much better choices, in nice areas with shopping and restaurants close by. For me, I'd probably go for the Quest Parnell which is within walking distance of the domain and museum, however the Novotel is conveniently next to the motorway if you're planning day trips outside Auckland. It's also closer to the airport, which may be of interest, if you're concerned about access to the airport.