We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

non alcoholic!

Ryde, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
104 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
non alcoholic!

Bit of a sad question really. My husband can't drink alcohol because of medication, but enjoys a beer or wine with a meal. Are there any non-alcoholic wines or beers you can recommend? I will be able to have the pleasure of the real thing when we take our trip to NZ in January!

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: non alcoholic!

I have seen some local winery in Queenstown that produces a non alcoholic wine, but can not remember which one.

I would think any good wine store would be able to help you.

He might be best to stick to something like Ginger beer. There is a saying "if you sit on the barbers chair you will get a hair cut whether you wont it or not"

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,301 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: non alcoholic!

Lots of good non alcholic beverages available. Ginger beer is a popular choice. Or Sparkling grape juice - but its not a non alcholic wine, its a sweet grape juice. However, there are non alcohol beers and wines available but not readily available in NZ and they are not a common sight on most restaurants. Devine health does supply them. And they are becoming more popular with pregnant woman, sober drivers and youth. But still not readily available. You can get some in supermarkets. However, there are some mighty good fruit juices available. And great organic juices which are every bit as enjoyable as a wine or beer. With wonderful flavours like apple and feijoa, guava, pomengranate, apple and raspberry. Or I also recommend a pure grape juice.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,080 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: non alcoholic!

Countdown supermarkets have a beer on sale called Claushauler and is 0.5% alcohol which is really no alcohol; at all. It looks like beer, tastes like beer and one can if one wishes drink more than one bottle. It retails around $6.50 for 4 bottles. Highly recommended.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,293 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: non alcoholic!

Hi,

Simple I'd change doctors/medication!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life it too short not to enjoy it. I remember the actor George Burns being interviewed when he was in his nineties and asked "what do your doctors think about you smoking those cigars?"

He replied "I don't know they are all dead!" :-)

Cheers,

Edited: 04 August 2013, 05:01
New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: non alcoholic!

I don't drink alcohol and prefer alternatives to beer and wine when I'm dining out, rather than imitations. There are some good options out there, such as Phoenix Organics who sell a great range of soft drinks and juices, and Six Barrel Soda who use interesting seasonal ingredients in their sodas.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: non alcoholic!

I'm with Selsy

if not drinking then I enjoy ginger beer instead.

I have tried alcohol free wine but don't see the point.

Ryde, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
104 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: non alcoholic!

Thanks for all the suggestions . Six Barrel Sodas sound interesting as I don't think we have anything to equate to that.

8. Re: non alcoholic!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 05:16