We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crazy airfares

NC
Level Contributor
486 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Crazy airfares

I was on kayak looking at different options for flying into NZ. I found a route from Raleigh to LA to Auckland to Queenstown for $988. But when I look at a flight from Raleigh to Auckland, the least expensive option it comes up with is $1331 and it has an extra stop in the US!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crazy airfares

Your point?!

NC
Level Contributor
486 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crazy airfares

My original point was that the cheapest fare listed from Raleigh to Queenstown (which went through Auckland) was several hundred dollars less than the cheapest fare listed for Raleigh to Auckland. After posting I did find that same flight combo up through Auckland available on another site for $12 less than the full trip to Queensland. Not sure why it didn't pop up as an option in Kayak. I guess they don't make anything easy.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crazy airfares

This is not an uncommon occurrence where airlines promoting a destination cut the costs to someone there. If an airfare is cheaper a -b -C and one only wants to go to b then I would advise take the far and don't turn up to the connecting fare b - C. Queensland is in Australia so it doesn't really apply here

Edited: 04 August 2013, 23:25
Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crazy airfares

Queensland is indeed in Australia however Queenstown is in New Zealand :)

NC
Level Contributor
486 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crazy airfares

Oooops...Meant Queenstown, both times. ;-)

Actually, I was wondering about just missing the last leg. I assume you'd have to limit yourself to carryon but we do that already. Then I thought customs would be a problem but they do that on your first stop in the country, right? If you were going to Auckland via Sydney, could you just miss that last leg to Auckland when it's another country?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,661 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crazy airfares

Are you sure both fares were in $US? Some search engines post fares in the country of origin, which means that a fare from NZ to the US would be quoted in NZ$!

One way fares are often as much as returns so you might be better off looking for a good fare LAX to AKL to LAX and adding cheap domestic flights at both ends

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,939 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crazy airfares

If you have a return ticket and you miss a leg of the outbound journey, all the rest of the ticket will be cancelled.

And, in the scenario outlined in the original post, the airline could pursue you for the extra $343.

NC
Level Contributor
486 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crazy airfares

"If you have a return ticket and you miss a leg of the outbound journey, all the rest of the ticket will be cancelled.

And, in the scenario outlined in the original post, the airline could pursue you for the extra $343."

Ouch! That wouldn't be good.

I always hear that one way fares are much higher but I haven't found that in any of the flights I've had in years.

Besides price, is there any advantage/disadvantage to booking one direction independently from the other?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crazy airfares

Count your blessings - we paid just under $1k to fly from Perth to Christchurch via Auckland return and almost $1,200 to fly from Perth-Auckland-Christchurch open jaw return Queenstown-Auckland-Perth and we're only seven hours away (and that was a sale!)

Unlike in the US, fares in Australia and NZ are often quoted one way, and can indeed be cheaper than a return, particularly open jaw. However, my recent experience in booking a flight for a family member from the US to Queenstown via Auckland and then back via Christchurch and Auckland worked out cheaper round trip than two separate tickets; whereas my open jaw flight from Perth to Christchurch via Auckland with a return from Queenstown and Auckland was cheaper when purchased as two one ways. Go figure.

<Besides price, is there any advantage/disadvantage to booking one direction independently from the other?>

Nope.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,363 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crazy airfares

Have you checked out the multi cities option as it is called on kayak. You can fly in to one destination and out of another.

You really do have to check on multiple sites to get the best deals.