We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a snow chain for the car in north island in September?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Need a snow chain for the car in north island in September?

Hi,

My husband and I will do self driving in NZ from 20th to 30th this september. We will travel both north and south island (with 2 times domestic flights from auckland to queenstown and christchurch to auckland). We plan to rent a snow chain at the car rental company in south island since we will be going to Franz Josef Glacier and Fox Glacier(We assume we will need it??).Do we need to rent a snow chain too for the car if we will only be visiting Glow worm cave in Waitomo, Hobbiton in Mata Mata and Rotorua(either Wai O tapu or Te puia) in the north island?Will it snow and icy road in north and south island? I know September is should be no more winter, but with the world climate change, do i need to prepare and take it as late winter???Please advise.....

Thank u so much.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a snow chain for the car in north island in September?

You are very unlikely to need chains in late September - though it has occasionally happened. If you are only driving down the West Coast - through the glaciers - then you are very unlikely to need them. There is only one small pass (Haast Pass) to go over. This is not an alpine pass, so rarely closes due to snow. The most likely part of the North Island roads to close is the Desert Rd - between Taupo and Waioru. Again, this is reasonably unlikely.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a snow chain for the car in north island in September?

I wouldnt plan on needing chains. In the event that the Desert Road is blocked by snow in SEptember the alternate route around Mt Ruapehu is unlikely to be blocked as well.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,563 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a snow chain for the car in north island in September?

I never even owned snow chains when I lived in the North island. If there is heavy snow (highly unlikely), the road will be closed and you will have to sit it out. Really unlikely to need chains in the SI in September either.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a snow chain for the car in north island in September?

I wouldn't bother carrying them personally unless I was planning on going up to the skifields. The chance of needing them in the North Island, especially, is very remote.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a snow chain for the car in north island in September?

Ok, got it, guys...so, we wont need the snow chain for both islands.

Thank u so much for all ur advises.

Appreciate it.

Have a good day.... :)

6. Re: Need a snow chain for the car in north island in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 07:18