We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

22 Day self drive itineray - a little advice please

London, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
22 Day self drive itineray - a little advice please

Hi,

I am in the early stages of putting together an itinerary for a proposed 22 night holiday to NZ from mid March 2014 and would appreciate any input as to whether it looks manageable and any suggestions for my queries below?

I will be hiring a car and staying in hostels/motels. Thanks in advance!

Day 1 - Arrive Auckland pm

2 - Auckland

3 - Auckland to Bay Of Islands (Pathia)

4 - Bay Of Islands – Could I fit in a half day cruise, walk in Pathia/Russell area & a trip to Cape Reinga in a day and a half?

5 - Bay Of Islands to Waitomo Caves (a long drive I know)

6 - Waitomo Caves - adventure caving - on to Rotorua pm

7 - Rotorua

8 - Rotorua to Taupo – skydive

9 - Taupo – use as base for Tongariro crossing, can you recommend any companies for pick up/drop off? Weather should be pretty consistent mid march?

10 -Taupo to Napier

11 -Napier to Wellington

12 -Wellington to Picton, pm ferry, on to Nelson

13 -Nelson - Abel Tasman day tour – any recommedations of companies? Interested in part walking/part kayaking trip

14- Nelson to Kaikoura – a late whale watch cruise? Is there a ‘good’ time of day to get best experience?

15- Kaikoura to Christchurch

16- Christchurch to Hokitika via Arthurs pass – maybe do a short 1-2 hour walk in Arthurs NP? ideas of any walks easily accessible from highway?

17- Hokitika to Fox Glacier

18- Fox Glacier – Day tour, not sure which yet.

19- Fox Glacier to Wanaka

20- Wanaka to Te Anau – may stop off for quick bungy if not too far off route! Is Kawarau bridge on the way?

21- Te Anau – Drive to Milford sound, cruise, then walk part of Routeburn track? I saw there is a 2 hour walk off the main road to a peak which I cannot remember name of. Or would a day tour be best bet for all this?

22- Te Anau to Queenstown

23- Queenstown – flight home pm – too short a time in QT?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 22 Day self drive itineray - a little advice please

You should be fine driving the Milford Road in March - the main issues with ice/snow and avalanches occurs May - Oct.

Some prefer to bus in the summer months as they are short on time and haven't time for two nights in Te Anau. But Te Anau is a lovely lakeside town, plus has the glow worm caves, excellent walks and short film Ata Whenua.

London, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: 22 Day self drive itineray - a little advice please

I've amended my original itinerary above slightly, taking out overnights in Napier & Kaikoura and adding them to Wanaka & QT. It may still look a little rushed but at least i have abit more time in each place.

It may seem a little mad to fly to CC for 1N but would like to try and include it as im intruiged how the recovery is progressing and also do my bit for their tourism! I hear Arthurs pass is a nice drive also.

any comments welcome as always!

Day 1 - Arrive Auckland pm

2 - Auckland

3 - Auckland to Bay Of Islands (Paihia)

4 - Bay Of Islands

5 - Bay Of Islands to Waitomo Caves

6 - Waitomo Caves - adventure caving - on to Rotorua pm

7 - Rotorua

8 - Rotorua to Taupo for skydive, wander rounf area - pm Turangi

9 - Turangi – Tongariro crossing

10 -Turangi to Wellington

11 -Wellington to Picton, pm ferry, on to Motueka/Kaiteriteri

12 -Abel Tasman day tour

13- Motueka/Kaiteriteri – Nelson, drop car at airport - flight to Christchurch

14- Christchurch to Hokitika pm, via Arthurs pass – maybe do a short 1-2 hour walk in Arthurs NP? ideas of any walks easily accessible from highway?

15- Hokitika to Fox Glacier

16- Fox Glacier – Day tour, not sure which yet.

17- Fox Glacier to Wanaka

18 - Wanaka - suggestions for a good hike? Rob Roy?

19- Wanaka to Te Anau – Kawarau bridge bungee

20- Te Anau – Still undecided as to whether a day tour to Milford or self-drive is best

21- Te Anau to QT

22- QT

23- QT – flight home

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,996 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 22 Day self drive itineray - a little advice please

18 - Wanaka - suggestions for a good hike? Rob Roy?

It depends what kind of scenery you would like. Rob Roy Glacier has a reasonably long drive to access it. The drive up is up a valley. The track though crosses farmland briefly, crosses a river, and then climbs steadily through forest. until you reach the bushhie-and the glacier-you don't really see mountains.

Another option is Rocky Mountain/Diamond Lake. This is approx 15 -20 min drive from town. This track climbs up above a small lake. The track Is out in the open, so you shortly get views of Lake Wanaka, the mountains up the valley and even the town in the distance.

Another option is Mount Roy/Roys Peak. The Mt Roy track climbs steeply, then steadily. This track starts only 10 min from town. On a good day the news from here are really spectacular as you can see a long way, including surrounding mountains, the lake, and beyond Wanaka.

If short for time, the 1 hour Mt Iron track is worth the effort. This starts just on the edge of town. If you go anti-clockwise, then you will be coming down the steepest section, but also have views towards the lake and mountains in front of you.

Hope this helps.

14. Re: 22 Day self drive itineray - a little advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 05:18