I decided to start another thread now that I have a better picture of what we would like to do for our honeymoon and I'm hoping to get a bit more help with the planning.
As mentioned we are from NYC and tend to care less about spending time in towns and more about solitude and off the beaten track type places. We have been on a lot of trips where we have seen whales, penguins etc so that is definitely less of a priority. Walking/Hikes we love.
So I will paste my proposed itinerary below...I am aware it needs a lot of work which is why I am posting it but I'm hoping to get a better idea of what to do at the beginning and at the end of our trip as those seem to be the most undetermined at this time...so here goes!
- arrive in Auckland rest/acclimate and see town
- daytrip near Auckland?
- spend night outside of Auckland?
- drive back to Auckland and fly to Christchurch
- drive to Kaikoura and stay 1 night
- drive north and stay in either Nelson or Picton 2 nights
- do winery stuff Marlborough
- go to Abel Tasman Park
- night 2 in either Nelson or Picton
- start to drive southward towards glacier, spend night somewhere in-between like Hokitika
- drive from Hokitika to stay near glacier
- see Mt Cook
- do morning heli hike of Fox Glacier
- stay night 2 near glacier
- stay at farm near lake Wanaka
- drive to Queensland and either stay there or stay in Glenorchy
- drive to Te Anau
- stay in Te Anau 2 nights
- do milford sound cruise
- Do Milford track walk
- drive to Invercargill stay nearby
- stay 1 night or day trip to Stewart's Island
- work our way back up north not sure what route is best?
- continue to make our way back to Christchurch
Depart Christchurch for Sydney