We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in November?

malaysia
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear in November?

Hi,

We are travelling in North Island and South Island by coaches and train.

We would like to seek for advise on the attire to wear in November. Is there much rain in Nov?

Activities will include walks in Queenstown, Milford Sound and heli-landing on Mt Cook and maybe alphine safari.

Do we need hiking shoes or walking shoes will be sufficient?

Appreciate advises. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in November?

Best to pack light layers which can be added and removed as the temps fluctuate.

Nov can have spring rain, spring snow and summer heat. You will find significant differences between daytime highs and overnight lows.

So two pairs of pants, one or two shorts, a couple of light tops with one warmer layer, a good quality rain jacket, sandals and waterproof footwear. If doing full day hikes then boots are best as they support your ankle. But if just out for an hour or two on the trails then I wear hiking sandals by Nov.

The last heli-flight I did to play on the snow was Nov and I wore shorts, boots and a light fleece. We took jackets but didn't need them as it was about 15C on the mountain top in bright sunshine.

In addition I would take thermal bottoms and warm hat (most people feel colder when away from home), a sunhat and good quality wrap around sunglasses and sunblock - we have no ozone layer and with little air pollution the UV factor is very high. You will get burnt, even on overcast days.

Hope this helps :)

California
Level Contributor
9,614 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in November?

If you are like me (klutzy) bring extra shoes. I've either slipped into a river when rock hopping, or been caught by a rogue wave when exploring beaches on our trips to NZ. Getting your shoes completely soaked will take 2-3 days drying time.

malaysia
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in November?

Hi WLnz & deSchenke,

Thank you for the helpful tips. :)

4. Re: What to wear in November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 05:19