We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eftpos or credit card in aussie?

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Eftpos or credit card in aussie?

Hi i live in new zealand. Will be having a week long trip with the family around Aussie. My bank is ANZ. Which is better to use there and with lesser surcharges, eftpos or credit card? Or is the currency exchange rate the same for both? Thanks a bunch!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,660 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eftpos or credit card in aussie?

You'll probably get better answers if you post your question on the Australia forum.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,642 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eftpos or credit card in aussie?

The Australians won't know what a NZ bank charges. The best place to ask is your own bank.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eftpos or credit card in aussie?

I looked up ANZ's overseas rates last night for our trip to Asia. For cashout with an eftpos card, it is $5 per transaction + 2.5% of value. Go onto the ANZ website and somewhere near the bottom is a little 'rates and fees' button. I can't remember what the credit card rates were.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,924 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eftpos or credit card in aussie?

You will get the same exchange rate with EFTPOS or a credit card, but the fees may be different. On this side of the Tasman, fees can vary according to the kind of account or card, so you need to ask your bank about the fees that would be applied to your cards.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eftpos or credit card in aussie?

I travel across the ditch fairly regularly and I take a combination of cash and use credit cards. As an ANZ key client I don't pay commission charges for overseas currency (normally around 1.5%) and the actual exchange rate is about 1 - 2 cents less than the official rate. Whilst in Aussie I use credit cards where possible because exchange rates are determined by the official cash less commission. You will save yourself around 2%

6. Re: Eftpos or credit card in aussie?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 06:21