We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

north island where to go

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
north island where to go

Hi,

I am going to New Zealand in December and will be on the North Island in Auckland for 3 days of holiday before a business trip.

I was thinking of hiring a car for two of the days and driving to Rotorua via Waitomo and Hobbiton and the next day driving back up the coast to Auckland.

Can anybody tell me if this is worth doing or if there are other places that are more worth while to visit on the North Island in the short time I had.

Any suggestions welcome! :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,927 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: north island where to go

Welcome to TA, Catherine! I think in 2 days this is all you have time for although I'm not sure what you mean by "driving back to AK via the coast"? If you mean SH 2, I think it will take too long. You are better off allowing at least a full half day in Rotorua, there is so much to see there. An absolute minimum would be one thermal park. Driving down via Waitomo Caves, ie SH1 to Hamilotn and then SH3 to Waitomo and returning via Hobbiton would mean less zig-zagging than trying to do both in one day. In the evening you should try a Maori Cultural evening and hangi. There are several to choose from.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,564 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: north island where to go

Hobbiton -Rotorua - Waitomo Caves is a great option, with a wide range of attractions and activities located around Rotorua and the thermal region including Taupo.

2 more options would be:-

a) 3 days visiting the Bay of Islands and Northland attractions including Waipoua Forest, OR

b) Coromandel peninsula exploring both west and eastern coastlines.

3. Re: north island where to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 05:19