We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best flight options from UK to Auckland

UK
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best flight options from UK to Auckland

Hi, please could you advise.

I'm looking at visiting New Zealand in November and seen flight options with Singapore Airlines.

They have 2 flight options:

- Depart London 11am, Arrive Auckland 23:30 midnight

- Depart London 10pm, Arrive Auckland 12:00 midday

Which would be best option in terms of jetlag etc ?

Also China Southern price is £300 cheaper, but is it worth it as I have heard bad reports.

Cheers

Ben

California
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best flight options from UK to Auckland

I've not traveled from the UK, only the USA. But I would choose the 10pm departure. You have all day to pack. You are pleasantly tired when you are on the plane and are more likely to sleep. You arrive in daylight to find your way around and you arrive about check-in time for your accommodation for the night. You're excited to have finally arrived and stay awake a bit to walk around and get a meal.

I realize travel from UK adds considerably to the travel time compared to US departures. And I presume you are connecting in Singapore?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best flight options from UK to Auckland

I agree, but I'd add a qualification: if you can, stop half way for a day (or more). This might also have an impact on which airline to choose: which would be the more appealing place to stop?

Only you can decide whether the money is worth saving - I'd go with the cheaper option myself as that money always comes in handy. Sometimes the cheap option can surprise you: I recently travelled on the badly reviewed Air Pacific because it was cheap, and it was the most charming flight I've ever had. Singapore Air tends to be at the top end of prices, so there are probably other options which aren't quite as much but lack the poor reviews of China Southern e.g. Thai or Malaysia Air

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best flight options from UK to Auckland

Of the Singapore flights, definitely the evening departure will be better. You'll get to sleep quickly before you're too stiff and uncomfortable from sitting all day.

4. Re: Best flight options from UK to Auckland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 06:23