We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intercity coach

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
136 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Intercity coach

Hi all,

I've been told that self-drive is the best way to see the best of New Zealand, but I'll be travelling alone and am quite apprehensive of driving alone in a foreign land. It's my first trip to New Zealand and I'll be there from 30th Nov to 28th Dec.

I am going to start from Auckland and move southwards. Below are the places that I'd like to visit during the one month:

Auckland - Paihia - Cape Reinga - Coromandel - Rotorua - Taupo - Wellington - Nelson - Franz Josef - Wanaka - Queenstown - Milford Sound - Mt Cook - Tekapo - Christchurch

Since it's my first visit to New Zealand, I am planning to visit places where Tripadvisor recommends and maybe I'll deroute, depending on how my trip goes.

So my question is, would you reckon it's easy for me to visit the above places and their respective popular tourist sites with Intercity transportation? I plan to stay over at least a night in all the places so there's not much issues with my backpack. I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether the intercity bus will stop at the central area where I can move outwards easily to my destinations. I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to ask!!

Akaroa Dolphins
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Waitomo Adventures
Canyoning & Rappelling Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Bubbly Grape Wine Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Milford Sound BBQ Bus
Bus Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,560 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intercity coach

Intercity is NZ's major coach operator, but it operates to a network that wont get you from A to B on your itinerary easily. It's likely you'll have to reroute through a major city or centre instead to get from one place to another e.g. Coromandel to Rotorua - www.intercity.co.nz/travel-info/route-map/

Intercity from Auckland travels to Paihia and Kerikeri. For a Cape Reinga tour (from the Bay of Islands), Great Sights (associated with InterCity) provides a return day-tour- greatsights.co.nz/new-zealand-tour-destinati…

InterCity provides daily services from Auckland through Hamilton to Rotorua, and Auckland to Taupo to Wellington, so no problem getting to these major places. The connection between Rotorua and Taupo is also available (using Tauranga to Wellington service).

You have a reasonable time-frame according to your itinerary. Self-driving provides for a more straightforward itinerary, but the InterCity services if you can make them work for you is an affordable alternative. You can purchase a bus-pass, as well as tours.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intercity coach

You can find a way to get to most places using either the Intercity service or other day tour operators - BUT, the bus schedule in some cases is limited which means you may be wasting quite a bit of time or travelling at awkward times of day.

Self drive will make for a much more flexible and enjoyable trip in my opinion - I can understand being nervous about this as you are travelling alone, but NZ is an easy country to travel in and lots of people travelling alone do drive themselves.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intercity coach

it's a mixture of both ... you really won't know until you get here but buses through main centres are running constantly, so no issue with that. You might need to book your car earlier for rental.

Hope this helps

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,281 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intercity coach

I think it is wise to play it safe if you are not confident - and car rental while ideal for 2, is expensive for 1. As an alternative to Intercity, have a look at the bus passes offered by companies like Stray. Do be aware that you will need to stay two nights in most of the places on your list to actually see any of the sights, otherwise you are spending all day- every day in a coach :-(

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
7 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Intercity coach

Self-drive is actually very convenient, but since you're alone, you can take Intercity bus. I went to South Island with my sister last month, and we traveled with Intercity. We went to Christchurch, Lake Tekapo, Mount Cook, Queenstown, Milford Sound, then go back to Christchurch and lastly to Picton to board the ferry to Wellington.

From my experience, the bus stop at Christchurch is at main street, which was quite far from the hostel I stayed. For Mount Cook, Lake Tekapo and Queenstown, the bus stop is close to the town center. From Queenstown to Milford Sound, the bus will stop at interesting places like Mirror Lake before reaching Milford Sound. The trip to Milford Sound from Queenstown takes one whole day.

The drivers were also very friendly, and they will give commentary along the way.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
136 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Intercity coach

thanks for sharing your experience! I've already booked the intercity for my south island trips and ill be driving when im in North island!!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
136 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Intercity coach

Hi zhuhai!

Thanks so much for your input. right now ive settled the transportation and most of the accommodation! cant wait for the adventure to begin!

8. Re: Intercity coach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:16