We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time will we need?

Campbellville...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
How much time will we need?

My husband(70) and I(65) Have seven weeks (from mid October to early December) to do New Zealand as thoroughly as possible and then some highlights in Australia. We plan to rent a car (or cars) for New Zealand. I plan to do some reading, but was wondering if you could help with ideas about how long it will take to do the north island and how long it will take to do the south island. It would help with our car rentals and our flight booking to Australia. Thank you!

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time will we need?

The answer is allow as long as possible - 2 weeks for each island would be great, 3 weeks would be even better.

You would be able to do a reasonably comprehensive tour of both islands with 4 weeks in total - this will give you the opportunity to spend more than 1 night in some locations and therefore be able to appreciate areas a lot better.

If you want any specific ideas on routes to take or anything else I am sure someone here will be happy to assist.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time will we need?

You have a good length of time to take a slightly more relaxed approach. A good starting point on here is to search for similar length itineraries. You can then tweak to suit yourself, and then post for feedback. I find it is easier to start with something rather than 'reinvent the wheel'. Use the search box with the green button to search the NZ forums just above here.

Happy planning :)

Edited: 07 September 2013, 22:05
Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time will we need?

Oh, and I think with the time you have, make the effort to get to Stewart Island. It is an amazing place, and very special.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,558 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time will we need?

We are an older couple and have tried to have a relaxed pace. We had three weeks for just part of the South Island. I agree that you will want as much time as possible. The time has just flown by.

Look below for the search box and put in things such as 'one month' or 'three weeks' and see what comes up.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time will we need?

I would do the Australia leg first. By December humidity is building in the northern parts, and stinger season starts in November. I'm assuming you'll want to visit the Great Barrier Reef, and this especially will be a much nicer place at the beginning of your trip!

I would start from Queensland, fly into NT/Uluru next if you want to go there, then hit Sydney and Melbourne for a few days. Fly Melbourne to Christchurch, doing your South Island loop while the hills are still a bit green, and then working your way up the North Island so you get to the Bay of Islands for beachy summer weather, Fly home from Auckland.

Allow a minimum of two weeks in the South Island and week in the North, but personally I would make Australia more of a whirlwind visit to allow more time in NZ. Many people combining NZ and Aus allow more time for Australia, assuming since it's bigger they need more time there, and then say afterwards they wish they'd spent more time in NZ. Australia has a looooot of empty space in it, whereas in NZ the sights are packed. You could easily spend your whole holiday in NZ and still feel like it wasn't long enough.

6. Re: How much time will we need?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:18