We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help choosing between Feb/March or April.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
966 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Please help choosing between Feb/March or April.

Hi,

Thanks for all the help till now. Just about to book flights and we have 4 dates when we can go. We are traveling for 23 nights covering SI first (Christ, West Coast, Wanaka, Mt cook, Dunedin, Queenstown), then flying from QT to Rotorua and covering Rotorua, Coromandel and Auckland. 4 dates which we can travel are:

18th Feb to 13th March

8th March to 31st March

22nd March to 15th April

9th April to 2nd May

I tried to do research about weather and cost but having tough time deciding. What will be the best time out of 4 periods considering weather and cost?

Thanks once again..

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,367 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help choosing between Feb/March or April.

Feb/March will offfer the best summer weather with long days of settled sunshine.

Mar/April will offer some cooler temps and the changes of the leaves around Cromwell/Wanaka/Arrowtown will be stunning

Apr/May will be getting cooler and the days shorter.

The differences in costs once here will be tiny. The differences in flights might be more.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
966 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help choosing between Feb/March or April.

Hi WanakaLakes, Thanks as always. I have checked flight rates for all the mentioned dates and they are same by Singapore airlines.

Will there many be much difference in cost of hotel, activities? Is it that in Feb rates are very high? Is it that it decreases in March and least in April?

Also forgot to mention, we like cooler weathers as being from Mumbai have heat all year round!! We crave for cooler pleasant weather..But I guess shorter days will not be feasible to see and do many things..

I might be visiting NZ only once, and dreaming since a year..So out of 4 options which one should I pick?

Thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,367 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help choosing between Feb/March or April.

NZ heat is nothing like Mumbai heat. First off, we don't have the humidity. And while Wanaka and Queenstown might make the early 30Cs, it will cool considerably overnight. And the rest of the country will be cooler by day - though you will find the North Island a touch more humid.

Feb would be my pick. The only way to see any difference in costs is to look at a hotel's rates for the different months.

California
Level Contributor
7,680 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help choosing between Feb/March or April.

I'd do Feb/Mar as well. Longer days mean more time to explore!

The children are back in school by the end of January, first week in February at the latest. So you won't be looking at "high" season rates for accommodation or activities.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help choosing between Feb/March or April.

Rates go down to normal as soon as schools go back on Feb 7th. I'd say come earlier - being from Mumbai you are very unlikely find it hot.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help choosing between Feb/March or April.

The April/May date will get you tangled up in Easter. This will make things pretty busy, especially around Wanaka because there is a big air show at easter in even years. Accommodation is booked out months in advance. I would go for the first option.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
966 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help choosing between Feb/March or April.

Thanks guys. It was really helpful. I did a comparison between hotel rates for said options and in option 3 it is cheaper by Rs. 50,000 for 4 of us. So not much difference as WLNZ said.

Will there be much difference in weather for option 1 (Feb/March) and option 2 (Only March)? Prices are almost same for both periods..

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help choosing between Feb/March or April.

No, weather in both choices should be quite settled. February will be a little hotter (the main difference will be evening temperatures. In the South, there will be some autumn colours by March, so the scenery will be even more stunning.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
966 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help choosing between Feb/March or April.

Thanks Telly. Autumn experience sounds amazing.. Mostly will then be choosing March..

Indore, India
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help choosing between Feb/March or April.

Thanks Kavita, is it gud to go on our own or do we book through some tour like cox and kings or some other private tour operator in SA..

yes we do plan to self drive for 2 days..

hw abt visiting Sun city and george as suggested by cox and kings ..

what weather could we expect in feb ???

Edited: 30 September 2013, 08:09