We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Mifis for extended NZ trip & Equipment Compatibility?

ny
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Mifis for extended NZ trip & Equipment Compatibility?

Hi- we are from the USA and planning a 3 month trip across New Zealand and need to stay in contstant touch with our business at home.

Planning to buy 2 Mifis once we arrive- one from Vodafone NZ and one from Telecom NZ to give us the maximum internet accessibility at the lowest cost.

We are bringing an Ipad 1, Ipad 4 and a laptop.

My question is- has anyone does this before? Did it work out? Secondly, does anyone see any reason why our US equipment would NOT work wirelessly with the New Zealand MIFIs?

I'm not a geek but I think they have different bands, frequencies.

Just want to make sure I don't have any technical surprises once I arrive. Thanks in advance for your help...

1. Re: Buying Mifis for extended NZ trip & Equipment Compatibility?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 22:05
ny
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Mifis for extended NZ trip & Equipment Compatibility?

Global-Travels, I'm not sure I understand. If I have my own NZ Mifi, why do I need a broadband stick? I would be creating my own Wifi with the Mifi, correct?

Also, same question with the Ipads- if I have wifi from the Mifi, wouldn't the Ipads work off it just like any other Wifi connection in New Zealand?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused...

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Mifis for extended NZ trip & Equipment Compatibility?

I assume a MiFi is a portable hot spot. If this is the case, and you brought it within NZ then it will work. They are available from either Vodafone or Telecom. My telecom one cost, I think, NZ$190 with a sim and 2 gig of data. There are cheaper ones available.

I don't think you would need 2, as a Telecom one will work in more places than Vodafone, and wherever there is Vodafone coverage you will also get Telecom. There are pricing differences, and you would need to work out what best suits your needs. There are a number of providers. Telecom & Vodafone being the main ones, but also 2 degrees, Skinny, Sprint, and possibly others. 2 degrees uses the Vodafone network outside of the main centres, Skinny uses Telecom, and I'm not sure about the others.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Mifis for extended NZ trip & Equipment Compatibility?

Hi,

A few observations:

1. You will not be in constant touch as many areas don't have any mobile coverage, from any provider.

2. Many accommodation providers will also give you free WIFI as they have land line internet.

3. You portable devices will work with WIFI or if you fell the need to waste money with a NZ MIFI.

4. The sheep app may keep you entertained.

Cheers,

5. Re: Buying Mifis for extended NZ trip & Equipment Compatibility?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 22:05
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Mifis for extended NZ trip & Equipment Compatibility?

Free wifi is easy enough to find. Many coffeebars, Maccas, Telecom phone boxes, some towns etc. We try to avoid talking to each other and mainly communicated by txt or e m@il. (We even e m@il across the room in my office) While we don't have 100% coverage, 95% of populated places do.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Mifis for extended NZ trip & Equipment Compatibility?

We have purchased a Vodafone mobile wifi twice (at the international airport on arrival) and was online while waiting for our domestic flight. We used it in Auckland, Rotorua, Dunedin, Te Anu, Christchurch and Queenstown.

Next trip is to the glacier areas so Im guessing the network will not be very strong, if it works at all but Ive got my fingers crossed.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 06:17
8. Re: Buying Mifis for extended NZ trip & Equipment Compatibility?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 06:20