We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USD in New Zealand

malaysia
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
USD in New Zealand

Hi,

May I check if USD is acceptable at shops or hotels in New Zealand?

Or is it better for me to change USD upon arrival at New Zealand - airport or any money exchange or bank?

Please advise at which place I can change the currency with better rates.

Many thanks.

1. Re: USD in New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 02:05
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,939 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USD in New Zealand

No USD is not readily acceptable in shops in nz. If you tried to use it you would likely get turned down or a severly bad exchange rate used. Some higher star hotels may accept USD but the rate I saw quoted at one was nearly one for one. Definitley change into NZD, our local currency. Having worked in international banking for many many years I can state that unless you are changing tens of thousands of dollars changing your holiday currency at the airport, or bank isnt a huge cost difference in exchange. It might cost you up to an extra few dollars extra overall for the convenience.

Using EFTPOS cards is the most popular way to transact.

but beware of fees etc. NZD cash is still accepted everywhere in NZ. USD definitely isnt!

malaysia
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USD in New Zealand

Hi,

Thank you for the clear answer.

4. Re: USD in New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:18