We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanmer Springs

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Hanmer Springs

Was planning one or two nights here with the family. Someone was telling me when they went there for one night, they extended and stayed 4nights.

I'm thinking that miss 8 & 10 incl hubby and I will love hanging out at the springs for a couple of days. I'm also sure there's some other things we'd like to do nothing high risk and I think at this stage of our holiday, we will be looking for low cost things to do eg walks, bike rides, farm visits.

Don't mind being based in HSprings then heading out for a drive and back again. Don't want to be unpacking and packing bags each day.

Will will be staying in kaikoura for 2/3 nights before this, then head down to cch for a week as. Have commitments there. Don't want to be travelling hundreds of miles to squeeze heaps in. Happy to make the trip across the Tasman in the near future to do the south half of the South Island.

Thoughts? Thanks

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,026 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanmer Springs

There's lots for families to do in the area. We have enjoyed biking on the many trails - all levels of difficulty. This is trickier if you don't have your own bikes, but they can be hired. The hot pools are great, but you will probably only want to visit them once (or twice with a same day return ticket) as they are expensive for a family. We usually only go there once due to cost when we visit Hanmer (3 kids). The hydroslide is a huge amount extra also. I would probably stick to two-three nights. This will allow you to get a feel for the town, but is probably enough.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanmer Springs

We really enjoyed the walk to the Dog Stream waterfall, about 3 hours return. With kids, take a picnic lunch to have by the waterfall.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,024 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanmer Springs

I highly recommend you book a holiday home for accommodation. A home away from home and in many cases cheaper than motels. Although linen hire would increased the cost.

And as you need to clean the holiday homes we always book a cleaner so dont have the hassles. Check out the websites of Hanmer holiday homes and alpine who both rent holiday homes.

4. Re: Hanmer Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 06:19