We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have a week now!

Springdale...
Level Contributor
20 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
I have a week now!

So i posted a couple weeks ago saying i would only have 4 days to spend in NZ. I revamped my schedule and now i have a week!!!!!

Which means i need help deciding where to go and what to see. Three things i really want to doing the luge, seeing the glaciers and seeing the Riff Raff statue in Hamilton (im a bit of a Rocky Horror Picture show fanatic).

Im willing to attempt to see parts of North and South Island...was thinking bout heading to South island and work my way north whether that be driving, flying taking a bus or train or ferry. Im up for an adventure!

Any and all suggestions are welcomed and desperately needed lol

Thanks in advance!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,349 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have a week now!

You are really underestimating distance here.

Say you flew into Queenstown on day 1(2N); did the luge in the afternoon;

Day 2. Explore QTN

Day 3. bus to the glaciers (all day in the bus -stay 2N);

Day 4. Visit the glacier;

Day 5.. Bus to Christchurch;

Day 6. Fly to Hamilton - see Riff-Raff ;-)

Day 7. Bus to AKL; Fly home

This would be pretty hectic and expensive.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,619 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have a week now!

Hi,

zhuhai2007 has nailed it.

>>You are really underestimating distance here<<

Unless you have a Tardus, ( have you been watching Dr Who as well as the Rocky Horror Picture Show?)

Reg Livermore won't help you. Do they have 21 day weeks where you come from?

IMHO you need to charter a chopper, a very fast one, or rethink your itinerary.

Cheers

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I have a week now!

If I were in your shoes I'd forget the glaciers and do a loop around Hamilton and Rotorua, possibly adding some of Waitomo, Raglan and/or the Coromandel. There is a luge at Rotorua, and plenty to do in the area.

The problem at the glaciers is the weather - it rains a LOT. I've been there several times and never managed to score a good day yet. Next time we're on the West Coast we plan to stay six nights at Franz Joseph in the hope of getting one good day. If that doesn't work I think we'll give up! You could spend a lot of money and most of your short holiday getting there and back and end up seeing nothing. The "safe" option is to have a great holiday up north.

Springdale...
Level Contributor
20 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have a week now!

what im seeing is that it is a huge undertaking to do both North and South NZ in just 7 days. I guess the next question would be, which side will give me more bang for my buck?

If i stay North can i do day trips by car or bus to tour?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,621 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have a week now!

Depending on where you stay in the North Island, day trips are possible. But you need to select a location that provides for great sights within a reasonable distance away.

Since you want to visit Hamilton and do the luge, focus on driving from Auckland through Hamilton to Waitomo Caves. Next, continue to Rotorua for a few days (day-trips) before returning to Auckland via Bay of Plenty beaches. You could even visit Hamilton twice if you are that keen. Taupo and the thermal valleys located between Rotorua and Taupo can be covered as day-trips from Rotorua.

Suggest Auckland 1 night

Hamilton to Waitomo Caves - 1 night (could stay Hamilton).

Rotorua & luge - 3 nights

Mt Maunganui, or Coromandel, or Raglan - 1 night

Auckland 1 night

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I have a week now!

You could either spend most of the time in Rotorua, doing day trips and activities around there, or do more of a road trip type of holiday.

For a road trip type holiday, I'd recommend:

1 - Auckland

2 - drive to Raglan (surfing, arty vibe) via Hamilton (Riff Raff)

3 - drive to Waitomo (caving, blackwater tubing, etc) OR if not interested in adventures below ground, leave early and drive to Whakapapa Village (via quick stop in Waitomo to do glowworm cave trip), and do short walks or chairlift up Ruapehu (if there in season)

4 - drive to Taupo (Huka jet, skydive, etc, or just relax and admire the lake) If coming from Whakapapa, you could stop off in Turangi for white-water rafting

5 - drive to Rotorua via Waiotapu and/or Waimangu thermal sights

6 - explore Rotorua, luge, evening cultural performance

7 - back to Auckland (stop to see Hobbiton if interested, or go via Mt Maunganui)

8- fly home

7. Re: I have a week now!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 06:19