We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Couple lost in Landslip

Oz
Level Contributor
12,385 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian Couple lost in Landslip

Hi,

Very sobering news from the South Island. Like many here on TA I offered itinerary advice to this young man before they embarked on their trip as well as a couple of PM regarding walks where they were travelling. I even tried to convince him, as I do with everyone, that a campervan wasn't cost effective and that road travel in the early AM and after dark wasn't a good idea but being from Canada he was well used to driving in snow and ice.

Wrong place and wrong time! My prayers are with their families.

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm…

On our recent visit to Mt Cook I saw the commemorative plaque to the young son of a work colleague who was killed on Mt Cook on the descent having reached the summit.

Please be careful out there.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian Couple lost in Landslip

Yes, it's very sad, and just a case of being in the wrong place at a very wrong time. Perhaps the best lesson for those planning trips, is that in NZ when the weather is against you, it is best to stay put. This is true for driving and especially for tramping (hiking). It is safer to wait it out, and then move once the weather has passed through. At least searchers have now found the young woman's body. This will at least bring some closure for her family.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian Couple lost in Landslip

Yes, I really feel for the couple and their family. Such horrid bad luck.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian Couple lost in Landslip

Very sad, and bad luck.

Local knowledge counts too, though. A disproportionate number of people coming to a bad end outdoors in NZ are tourists. The local who was following them turned back because the weather was so bad. Something to remember for tourists, to be flexible about plans when it comes to weather, road conditions, track advice when tramping, etc - NZ can be treacherous. If a local wouldn't do it, you probably shouldn't either.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,435 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian Couple lost in Landslip

I've been following this story for a few days. It's horrible and hits very close to home as we drove Haast Pass two days prior, and the weather wasn't great then.

We got caught in the storm and I'm glad now that we panned our plans for crossing Arthur's Pass and went via Lewis Pass instead - the weather was beyond dismal that particular day.

5. Re: Canadian Couple lost in Landslip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 06:19