We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another tourist GPS drama!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,008 posts
332 reviews
Save Topic
Another tourist GPS drama!

Another near tragedy as tourists speed to keep to their schedule:

stuff.co.nz/national/9196591/Teen-frees-stri…

Let's hope these two are OK, and are not TA members who didn't listen to theDEs' advice.

California
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another tourist GPS drama!

They were very lucky that someone came to the scene when they did.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 19:47
Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another tourist GPS drama!

Extremely lucky people.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another tourist GPS drama!

during the weekend, I too came across a road incident, where our roads taken the chinese travelers by surprise. Their car hit the kerb on a single lane bridge which destroyed the rimms on the left hand side deflating both tyres. A police car did stop, checked they were ok but he carried on. the frustration for the travellers was they were all alone, with no cell phone coverage and a car which they could not drive. I collected them, and got them to clear their car of all their belongings. the agents for the car was in Greymouth, but the local operator was away for the weekend so could not be contacted. they were booked into was the Beachfront Hotel Hokitika, who did not charge them their full fare due to their accident. I arranged accomodation for them at the kingsgate hotel who also gave these poor travelers a reduced rate.

They were informed to contact the rental company in the morning to arrange another car. However, they were then informed that Apex rentals would neither give them another car nor would they refund the remaining unused days from their rental period of which they had used only one day. their only option was to then arrange a car with another rental company.

several issues. dont expect to have cell phone coverage everywhere, understand all conditions of your retal contract. be careful on our roads and in this case a narrow single lane bridge. fortunatly there were no injuries in this incident

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another tourist GPS drama!

Zhuhai

As a DE, your comments of "Lets Hope these guys are not TA members who did not listen to DE's advice"

are slightly on the arrogant side and IMHO are unnecessary.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,316 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another tourist GPS drama!

Yikes, in both cases.

Coaster I find it a bit sad the police didn't do a bit more for the stranded couple - surely they could at least have made a call for them? And this isn't the first time a rental company has declined to continue a rental when the car is damaged or the driver fined.

Bill, it does get tiresome here on TA when we, the regulars, make recommendations such as don't drive jet lagged, don't drive in the dark, don't cram too much into your days etc and the member chooses to disregard our concerns.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Another tourist GPS drama!

Tiresome it may be Wanaka Lakes but some of the advice given on TA can be a bit precious. Examples like don't drive in the dark, don't cram too much into your days or don't tip are just suggestions not something DE's or anyone should demand or insist on.

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another tourist GPS drama!

Some are arrogant tourists too and even if only one or two warnings reach their destination (i.e. the mind set of the tourist) then I think the reminders are worth repeating. These warnings may just save a life.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Another tourist GPS drama!

I agree. Too many tourists come to grief on NZ roads. Better to risk boring or offending someone than not say something that might have helped them.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another tourist GPS drama!

I think the driving after flights concern is a nothing - I'drather night drive the day after arriving as that's when you're suitably tired.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another tourist GPS drama!

The rental car companies and motor home renatal companies go to extreme lenghts to explain to visitors the hazard of driving while fatigued. they provide translations services to hirers to ensure that they understand the details of their contract. they are not in a position to decline a rental if they have a current drivers licence from a country which is approved by NZTA.9New Zealand Transport Agency). There is an increaseing number of asian visitors as FIT (free independant Travelers) on our roads, and TA is not the only organisation who tries their best to educate new visitors to NZ.