We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current exchange rate au$ to nz$

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Current exchange rate au$ to nz$

Not long now til our NZ holiday.

Was wondering if anyone can tell me the local rate of exchange at the moment in nz as I'm considering getting a cash card before I leave au to cover the cost of accommodation and car hire ( too much cash to carry) then bring some au$ to exchange in auk or CCH.

Are there any better options?

1. Re: Current exchange rate au$ to nz$

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 20:35
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,249 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current exchange rate au$ to nz$

The cash cards sold in Australia are just a way of making more money from travellers. They are poor value, having high fees and/or a poor exchange rate.

Take a credit card for large purchases and the rental car, and a debit card to get money from ATMs out of your bank account, just like at home.

If your bank charges high fees for using your cards outside Australia, change your bank.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current exchange rate au$ to nz$

Check out any NZ bank websites ie www.bnz.co.nz along the bottom of the page is currency/Fx rates; click on this, then click on the menu option calculator. Plug in your AUD amount to get the NZ amount.

or www.westpac.co.nz

Follow GlobalTravels advice - take small amout of cash and your ATM card. I use Australian Westpac ATM card at NZ Westpac ATMs. To make it worthwhile re the bank fee/Fx rates, withdraw NZD500 at a time. Be warned, most ATMs will only dispense NZD20 notes! Therefore use ATM that is attached to a bank then go inside the bank to get the $20 notes changed into $50 notes!

Definitely credit card required for car rental hire.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,120 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current exchange rate au$ to nz$

Hi,

Great advice from the others. We use Westpac for the lack of fees and AMX for the travel insurance. I only ever change about $100.00 into NZ currency and we use Credit Cards to pay for everything. I always have cash left over at the end of each trip.

Cheers,

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,131 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current exchange rate au$ to nz$

$NZ current $A0.8880

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current exchange rate au$ to nz$

Thank you SO much everyone. Just got myself a visa debit with 2% conversion rate (cheaper than my 'big bank' visa @3%) Will follow above advice and NOT get travel card. Not really worth it.

Now to work out the cost of withdrawing from an ATM - I'll assume the big banks will have that info on their websites.

Thanks again. VALUABLE INFO!!

Edited: 30 September 2013, 04:48
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current exchange rate au$ to nz$

NAB charges $4 per withdrawal at NZ ATMs. We usually withdraw the maximum ($800NZ) at a time and pay cash for everything except the car. Banks rip you off with credit card charges. Then there are merchants that charge you a % for using a credit card, usually 2%. I'd rather spend the money on activities or a few extra nice dinners rather than on credit card exchange rate fees.

8. Re: Current exchange rate au$ to nz$

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 05:20