We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Apollo Campervans in New Zealand

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid Apollo Campervans in New Zealand

I booked an Apollo campervan to relocate from Christchurch back up to Auckland during the October school holidays with my 8 year old son. MOST relocations be it car or camper include the cost of the ferry crossing for free. Some companies even pay for the driver & provide a tank of free fuel.

When we arrived to collect the campervan from the Christchurch depot I was told we would have to pay for the ferry for their campervan. I told them I would not have booked the camper if this was the case. It was going to cost on the cheapest fare $376 for the van, driver and my son. Somewhere, somehow I had misread things and made a mistake. When booking, Apollo Campers requires an excessive booking fee of $250. I either paid for the ferry or lost my $250. The staff were initially not helpful. They put me through to the reservations lady Jacinda & she was adamant I would have to pay so I moved to the customer service & after contacting the relocations team they also remained adamant I would have to pay or cancel the booking.

The thing that upsets me the most is that these companies charge a oneway fee on their vehicles of $300 which covers the ferry cost to get the campers back to the North Island. Secondly they had advertised on their website two campers they wanted relocated from that day which included the ferry & the driver for free but they would not transfer my booking to either of these vehicles nor would they in the interests of customer service agree to pay for their vehicle on the ferry. The outcome for me was to cancel our boking and lose the $255 I had already paid.

There I was with my son stuck at their Christchurch depot which is miles away from a bus or passing taxi with all our baggage, no accomodation, no way to complete our holiday, no way to get home. What was I going to do??

After some tears I managed to get a Britz camper relocation with a booking fee of $50. It meant another night in a motel in Christchurch but got us on the road again & saved our holiday. NOT only that but their rental terms were 1000 times better than the incredibly harsh Apollo terms. I only had to give them an $800 damage fee which will be reimbursed including the credit card charge. Finally the camper was fully equipped including sheets, towels, pillows, tea towels, duvets, toaster and a heater all for free. APOLLO charges for all these items as extras. The staff was friendly, went right through the workings of the camper and sent us on our way with a smile.

APOLLO could have helped very easily at no cost to them but they chose not to. Therefore, I think very poorly of their customer service, their charges, their conditions, their attitude and their company. I would recomend you use any other company not related to Apollo. Avoid them at all costs.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Avoid Apollo Campervans in New Zealand

Two first time posters that can't spell Christchurch. One spells it Crischerch and the other Crischrch.....hmmmm I smell a rat (not a one month old fish)!

22. Re: Avoid Apollo Campervans in New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 06:19
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question