We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franz Josef or fox glaciers ?? Kind replies pls :)

Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Franz Josef or fox glaciers ?? Kind replies pls :)

Hello again.. I'm planning to go to either so I would need your kind advice on the below queries.. They both look amazing but I don't think we will do both since they are pretty much the same scenery ( from what I have read )

1) which is more scenic and beautiful

2) which one is an easier hike and how long is the shortest hike to the glacier ? As we are both older folks and not v fit..

3) if we take the helicopter will we miss the beaury and experience of the hike ?

4) which helicopter or ski plane tour do u all recommend

5) which town is prettier and more lively to stay as a base ?

Thank you all, much appreciated !!

California
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Franz Josef or fox glaciers ?? Kind replies pls :)

1) It would be dead heat.

2) Fox is a shorter hike to the terminal face by half. However, I understand there are some awesome waterfalls on the route to Franz Josef.

3)Not sure how to answer this. Of course you'll miss the beauty and experience of a hike, but you'll get scenic beauty from above.

4) I believe there is only one company that operates from Franz Josef, and one company that operates from Fox.

5) Franz Josef is definitely the larger town of the two. More restaurant and accommodation choices.

There are basically 3 ways to experience the glaciers. You can walk to the terminal face yourselves, I've explained the difference between the two in answer 2. Or you can take a guided hike from almost sea level onto the ice - but only on Fox, Franz does not have this option. Or you can take a helicopter to a higher level on the glacier, put on crampons, and be shown ice caves, etc.

Some prefer Franz Josef, there's more to see and do in the town and there are hot pools to enjoy. Some prefer Fox because of the proximity to Lake Matheson and a cool glowworm track right on the edge of town.

California
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Franz Josef or fox glaciers ?? Kind replies pls :)

I'm also going to kind of answer questions you asked on another thread. The helihike (at least the one I took on Fox) is not strenuous at all. It's very slow walking. More like stomp, stomp, stomp, ..... look. You go in small groups and the guide will cater to the group.

Also, the helicopter flight was short - we took the half day Flying Fox. The flight to the glacier was 8 minutes. The flight back was half that. I think there are more scenic flight options, but if you have vertigo, that might not be suitable. Going on the flight got us up to the area where there are ice caves, blue ice and other unique features.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Franz Josef or fox glaciers ?? Kind replies pls :)

We recently walked to both - Fox took an hour, Franz 90 minutes (return). The terrain of the Fox walk was a teensie bit more challenging than that of Franz, but not enough to make a significant difference.

They're close enough that you can do the walk around Lake Matheson and walk to both glaciers in the same day (we did) and still have time left over to poke through the visitor's center, or through town, or whatever.

Neither town is what I'd consider 'lively' but as mentioned above, Franz has more services. We really, really enjoyed the hot pools at Franz this visit, and I'd highly recommend them after a day of hiking.

4. Re: Franz Josef or fox glaciers ?? Kind replies pls :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 06:20