We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming to New Zealand July-August 2014.

Portsmouth...
1 post
Save Topic
Coming to New Zealand July-August 2014.

Hi guys, I know you probably get these types of generic nasty questions all the time, and I've read over 50 forum posts, a couple of books etc and still am left a little....wanting I guess?

I'm 24 years of age and as I've already mentioned next year I'm going to be coming to new Zealand, hopefully landing in Dunedin and making my way to the most northernly point on the northern Island, I'm flying from England, most likely London, and after flights, I hope to take about $4000 -$5000 with me, would that be enough to support me for about 2 months?

I'm one of these people that has dreamed of travelling for a few years, and due to recent circumstances and kicking my own butt, I have lost the fear, and am now getting myself in gear and preparing to travel.

Once again, I know you probably hate this type of forum post but I just wanted to ask, Thank you so much in advanced.

D.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,533 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming to New Zealand July-August 2014.

Hi DD, welcome to the forum :)

I have no idea how much it will cost for you to travel here.

I assume you will bus to get around and stay in shared dorms of hostels, cooking and preparing most of your own meals?

For the most accurate measure, work out how much it would cost you to explore the UK top to bottom by public transportation, staying in hostels, cooking your own meals, doing all the touristy activities and having the occasional night out.

However much it will cost you to explore the UK, that is how much you will need for NZ.

happy calculating :)

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming to New Zealand July-August 2014.

Being a bit over the top I do an excel sheet of days away, accommodation costs, food, tours and entry fees. It turns out to be a very accurate method.

Unfortunately no traveller will be the same because some stay in 5 star hotels and others camp. Some fly over Milford sound, White Island and the Bay of Islands. Some eat at 5 star restaurants and others eat home made sandwiches.

I stay in hotels (4 dots on trip advisor), hire a car, eat out and do some tours but no flight seeing. I could travel in NZ with my dh (so for two) for 2 months on less than $5000 NZD (excluding flights to and from Oz) but I am not you. : )

Edited: 06 October 2013, 21:42
Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming to New Zealand July-August 2014.

Look at flying into Christchurch - there are some direct flights (e.g. Singapore) and flights from the other major international airport (Auckland) are cheaper than flying to Dunedin.

Also look at www.bbh.co.nz and www.yha.co.nz for some idea of the cost of hostels. It would be worth joining for the discounts. I stayed at a really excellent one in Wanaka last year that I can recommend (Wanaka Bakpaka). Campgrounds also have cabins that are quite affordable, but you might want to save that for the northern part of NZ.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming to New Zealand July-August 2014.

$5000 for two months works out at $83 a day. To get around on that you will not be able to afford private rooms most of the time, and you will need to self-cater most of the time. Your options would be hostel dorms, camping (not recommended in July/August!), or couch-surfing. You'll probably be best off getting a hop-on hop-off bus pass eg Stray. It could be done but it will be tight - you will need to make some tough choices when it comes to all the tempting non-free activities on offer. You wouldn't be able to afford much skiing/boarding especially. If you were hoping to be on the snow, you'd probably need to get a working holiday visa and spend a season working one of the fields.

If you'd rather be able to splash out a bit, you could consider combining a shorter one-month holiday to the South Island (for the snowy scenery) with a month somewhere cheap, like somewhere in SE Asia. That would make for a great holiday with more money in the kitty for activities, and you could come back for the North Island another time (preferably in summer). As an example, we go to Thailand for a cheapie mid-winter holiday in the sun. We get a bungalow at a small family-run beach-front resort for $36 a night, with aircon, breakfast, free wifi, etc. Meals out cost about $3 per person, laundry $2 a load. I don't lift a finger the whole time we are there. This is "green season" rates in a relatively little-known area, but as you can see the $$$ go a long way there.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming to New Zealand July-August 2014.

$83 a day is not a lot to travel on. Hostel dorm beds are around $30-35 a night. (Don't plan to camp in winter, especially in the south island!) A shuttle bus from Chch to kaikoura might be around $25, a mid range evening meal out $20-ish for the mains only; a couple of sandwiches from a cafe or bakery $4 or $5; fish and chips $8 etc. Of course you can save by shopping at supermarkets (Countdown and Pak N Save are the cheapest ones) and preparing all your own meals in hostel kitchens. $83 a day is do-able but you won't be able to afford a lot of activities on top of accommodation, food expenses and getting around. (Eg a day lift pass at Mt Hutt is $93 and ski hire $48, and you also need transport up the mountain).

It depends on whether you will be happy with a thrifty holiday and missing some of the more expensive experiences, with minimal eating out, and only the occasional night out, - or whether a shorter trip that lets you afford more of the expensive activities would be better.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming to New Zealand July-August 2014.

Hi, I am going to New Zealand ( end of July to August ) !

Have a nice trip !! Wish all the best for you !

7. Re: Coming to New Zealand July-August 2014.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 05:16