We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Request for suggestions for a 10days trip to South Island

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Request for suggestions for a 10days trip to South Island

Hi all,

I will be in South Island from 10 Dec (arrive 1530) to 20 Dec (depart morning flight 0930).

This is to be my 2nd honeymoon, for my 10th anniversary.

I had already pre-booked my hotel from Expedia. I will be staying in a hotel in Queenstown, nearbFrankton for the entire duration.

1. Need a recommendation for a reliable car rental (with 0 excess, ie if things go wrong will settle everything with no further cost to me)

2. Suggestions for day trips out of Queenstown: I was recommended some must dos, eg Milford sound, Mt cook, Arthur pass, Arrowtown, Queenstown garden /hill, farmer markets, horse riding etc

Would appreciate if anyone can share their 10 days itineraries.

About us:

We are in our 30s, we enjoy nature hikes/tramping, kayaking, experiences etc

Thanks!

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Request for suggestions for a 10days trip to South Island

Arthur's Pass is not doable as a day trip from Queenstown - it is too far away.

Areas close to Queenstown are Glenorchy, Arrowtown, Cromwell/Bannockburn, and Wanaka.

Mt Cook and Milford Sound are very long as day trips but doable. If you go up to Mt Cook I'd recommend staying a night, even if you have a hotel room in Queenstown already. If you do Milford as a day trip I'd recommend taking a tour - it's a very long day.

If you do a day trip to each of those areas, that's six days already, add a couple of day hikes, and there are a zillion activities to choose from in and around Queenstown itself. You will find your trip flies by without needing to add more destinations.

The best hiking areas are around Glenorchy and Wanaka. There is info on this link: …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

When you arrive in Queenstown, go into the i-Site and pick up a stack of brochures for activities and trips to drool over back in your hotel room. Pretty much anything you can think of will be on offer. Happy choosing!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Request for suggestions for a 10days trip to South Island

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the quick heads up!

I am now trying to get my car rental confirmed, before I start to put my list of places into my itinerary.

I would prefer to spend quality time learning about a place, experiencing its unique traits n people n practices.

Cheers!

3. Re: Request for suggestions for a 10days trip to South Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 06:19