We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Again - Don't Go With Go Rentals

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Again - Don't Go With Go Rentals

I hired a car for 1 week, I returned at 4.45 on Saturday in Wellington as I had an early 7am flight on Sunday. I made the mistake of not checking the car boot as the staff were in a hurry to get out and my mind was elsewhere.

After leaving I realized my mistake, my wife had left her handbag in back with wallet, ID card, passport, etc - and the baby push chair.

I hurried back to the office and got there at 5.10. It was locked up, nobody around. I called the Go Call Centre and got nowhere for over an hour. Around 6.30pm they told me they cannot contact anyone who works in Wellington, and I should go back to my hotel and they will contact me.

I got a call from I assume the Wellington manager at around 8.30pm. He said nobody was available to go open the car, including himself - he was out at a function. I explained the gravity of the situation, he replied it was my fault not theirs and they were not giving up their evening to go open the car.

Although it was my fault for not checking, you'd think they'd have at least some sense of customer service or basic humanity

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Again - Don't Go With Go Rentals

Forgot to add that I offered to make good on any staff that could go open, but basically got told to get lost by the office manager

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Again - Don't Go With Go Rentals

'again'?

you had same problem previous ?

agree poor customer service. but are you perhaps dramatising it a little?

if the car was fine and they charge competitively those of us who dont forget the final look round before handing in our keys dont need warning off

3. Re: Again - Don't Go With Go Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 02:05
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Again - Don't Go With Go Rentals

Hi James

so what happened next?

Did you get the passport, bag etc back in time for your flight or did you have to spend an extra day in Wellington?

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,817 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Again - Don't Go With Go Rentals

Hi James. Welcome to forums. See you have three reviews and posts, Two on this company. Would be great to also put some positive reports from NZ as well. The forums are great for helping travellers in all aspects. so welcome your reviews on your trip to NZ.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,817 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Again - Don't Go With Go Rentals

On rankers 95% of the 317 reviewers recommended Go Rentals. Maybe yours was an isolated case. Trustpilot rates them 9 out of 10 and the review centre has 84 reviews rating them 4.6 out of 5. All review sites for rental car companies.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Again - Don't Go With Go Rentals

Hi James,

Thanks for the feedback, we apologise for the inconvenience and stress caused, regarding the situation that happened on Saturday.

As a company GO Rentals prides itself on providing exceptional service and I am disappointed that you felt let down by your final experience with our company.

We are open 7 days per week from 7.30 am to 5.00 pm and also offer a backup service through the AA for breakdowns, flat batteries and lock outs.

Your situation was an unusual one and it was unfortunate no-one was available to come out after hours, as mentioned on the day you could have called the AA to come out and unlock the vehicle for you, this is all part of our service, although relevant charges do apply!

Your car was actually due back at our office by 2.00 pm, however your actual return was just before closing at 5 pm, which meant we were closed when you realised that bags were still in the car.

The bags were collected the next day by your daughter and we were relieved to hear you caught your flight and that your passport wasn't part of the luggage.

Once again I hope this didn't put you off our great country and hopefully we will see you again.

Regards

Laurence Woodall

Wellington Branch Manager

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Again - Don't Go With Go Rentals

My wife and children are all New Zealand citizens, so this bad experience has not put me off New Zealand. As a Scot, I have admiration/affinity to New Zealand. This last day experience was negative though and put a lot of stress on myself and my wife. My wife had to cancel all her bank cards, go to the police for a new identity car, has no mobile phone, etc...luckily she has 2 passports, so we were able to travel (at the time of calling the call centre I thought all of our passports were in the bag - turned out it was only my wife's passport). Also, carrying a 1 year old child without her push-chair for the duration of our return journey was not exactly convenient.

As per my email to your General Manager -

1. AA would not do anything as they required your AA membership, the car registration details, 195 NZD and claimed that Go Rentals had not contacted them

2. Whilst I did not want to waste anyone's Saturday evening out on the town, I had been calling the call centre numerous times from 5.15pm when I saw the office was closed. It took over 3 hours from then for you to respond saying that you would not go to the depot

3. I offered to send a taxi for any staff member that would be willing to go open the car and also offered to compensate them for their inconvenience

4. Your attitude on the phone said it all - and I hope your organisation do indeed check the phone recordings as stated in the email

Edited: 06 November 2013, 03:09
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Again - Don't Go With Go Rentals

Cut the price and generally so does the level of service. What we haven't been told here is why the OP failed to return the car on time. It is very easy to criticise a company for failing to provide after hours service and to be honest it is not an uncommon occurrence for there to be little after hours service from car rental operators outside published hours. Unfortunately if one wants 24 hour service one has to pay the piper.

Had the OP returned the vehicle according to the company then there would have been no problem to complain about. They could have charged the hirer another day's rental.

I am not defending the actions of the company in any way just providing a bit of balance here.

As I have said on many many occasions when one chooses a car rental company based on the lowest price don't expect the silver plated service.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
7 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Again - Don't Go With Go Rentals

Sorry but that really doesn't have anything to do with the original post. If you want to know why it was returned late well it was my first time driving in New Zealand, I was returning from Napier and there was a Gale force warning in place around Wellington. The road in was quite dangerous, with fallen rocks, and it took me that bit longer.

...but does that explain the way I was spoken to and dealt with by Go Rentals? You can judge for yourself, and any future person looking to use them