We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Britz camper vans

Sheffield
Level Contributor
83 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Britz camper vans

We are visiting New Zealand next year and were intending hiring a Britz campervan. However, the reviews for Britz don't seem to be very good, stating old vans and in poor condition. I know the vans are not brand new but would still expect good quality and a van that works, Does anyone have anything positive to say about the vans and the company's service. Price is important but not if it spoils the holiday.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
83 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Britz camper vans

Thanks for your post. We are aware that price reflects age, but when we tried to add 3 days onto our original 15 day booking the new cost was going to be $1800 more! This was the same price as some of the newer vans. Whatever the cost, the van should be well equipped and roadworthy. Since posting my first review I have done more research and feel comfortable with going ahead with Britz. As you say customer service is also important. A bit like insurance, it's all good until you try it out by claiming!

Solo, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Britz camper vans

1800$ for 3 days, 600$ per day, that's quite a something. Suppose you already done your comparison, getting new quote from other companies for same period, and calculate whatever cancellation fees there is?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
83 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Britz camper vans

It was because by bringing forward our trip we were picking up in the peak season I think. We also wanted to pick up on a Sunday. Anyway an email to Britz pointing out the large increase resulted in us picking up the van on the Monday so getting 2 extra days and getting the original lower rate so in the end it worked out. My main reasons for starting this thread was because most of the reviews for Britz were not good but as discussed during the thread, compared to how many vans are hired, the level of reviews is quite low so perhaps people don't post if they are happy!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Britz camper vans

Well, you know the old saying:

If something goes right, you tell one person.

If something goes wrong, you tell 50.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Britz camper vans

One rarely sees good reviews when rental cars are involved, probably because the expectation is that everything should work okay and when it does no big deal

Taunton, England...
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Britz camper vans

Well, I go tomorrow, and have booked a large camper with Walkabout for 35 days,,

Will let you know how we get on !! nowhere new $600 a day mind !!!

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Britz camper vans

We are just on our way back from New Zealand and making the most of time between flights to post our reviews. We hired a Britz camper van (4 berth for 2 people) after much research. The camper van was ideal for our needs and we did all that we wanted to travelling around South Island without any technical hitches. The van was good to drive and comfortable for long journeys. It was reasonably well-equipped but our friends who were travelling with us and also hired a Britz camper to the same spec were missing some items in their van. Check you have an electric kettle before you set off! So our holiday was perfect with our Britz campervan. However, unfortunately the same cannot be said for Britz customer service. When we went to pick up the camper at the agreed time at Christchurch airport, we were told there would be a 2 hour wait. The Britz offices resembled an airport lounge after several flights had been delayed with people and luggage everywhere. The whole setup was a shambles which even the staff themselves agreed on. Our 2 hour wait turned into 4 and a half which meant we didn't reach our first day destination. The vehicles hadn't been filled up with fuel even though there were pumps on site so as a sweetener we were told we didn't have to return the vehicle full. However, when we returned yesterday, wondering what sort of of shambles would greet us, all seemed to go well with the handover of keys and vehicle check. However, just as we were leaving, the customer service assistant appeared saying that we needed to pay a diesel surcharge. We hadn't been told about this and at another $100 this was no small fee. We realised that Britz were applying this fee randomly and in our case, it was to try to recipe some money for the fuel. Clearly, annoyed, we reasoned with the manager and the fee was dropped. So have a wonderful holiday, but just watch out for Britz customer service.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
83 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Britz camper vans

Thanks for your post. Forewarned is forearmed I suppose. We leave on Monday but don't pick camper van until the following week. Will post on our return. Hope you had a good holiday

Taunton, England...
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Britz camper vans

Sorry to hare of your small problems Sue,, the diesel fuel surcharge is quite well advertised etc,

OK, as it been said, good reviews rarely get posted

As above, we hired from Walkabouts Rentals,, Nothing broke, everything worked, pick up (even after a 2 hour inbound flight delay) and drop off was 100%,, did over 6000 kms all no problem, Deposit returned to the card within 48 hours

I was quoted $6000 for the duration of 37 days about 4/5 months before we arrived, large 6 berth Mitsubishi Canta,, All in, inc table/chairs (why they all try and charge extra ?) Knass GPS Tourist info unit (well worth it :) ) 2gb of mobile wifi, and any diesel surcharge (they did not know what milage we would be doing )

Total paid $6000

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Britz camper vans

1 reviews:

Britz Campervan, Car and 4wd Rentals - Auckland

Ranking: 2/10

Check out took forever. The first we had our Campervan we discovered the drain for the waste water was busted. So we had to spend time in the repair shop before heading to our next destination. The next few days we discovered lights that didn't work, utensils that were broke and curtain ties that had been torn off. Then the brake fluid line broke. Thank goodness it didn't happen while we were going over the Lindid Pass a few hours earlier. Once again we were sent to a repair station. They did not have parts and the part could not be found even in Queenstown. We were told they would bring us another Campervan and be there within 2 hours. We waited 3 hours and finally called them. We were told they were not even heading our way yet, there was some confusion! We were 45 minutes from Queenstown were the other Campervan was being brought from. We had reservations in Milford Sound for the night and a Cruise scheduled for early the next morning. The drive to Milford is 4 to 5 hours and we are now going to be driving that road at night. Britz is trying to make it all worth happening because they are having to give us a bigger Campervan because they don't have one like we have in Queenstown. A bigger Campervan will not ease the pain

of this delay in our plans. I will post more after I see how Britz compensates us for these breakdowns.