We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Britz camper vans

Sheffield
Level Contributor
83 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Britz camper vans

We are visiting New Zealand next year and were intending hiring a Britz campervan. However, the reviews for Britz don't seem to be very good, stating old vans and in poor condition. I know the vans are not brand new but would still expect good quality and a van that works, Does anyone have anything positive to say about the vans and the company's service. Price is important but not if it spoils the holiday.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Britz camper vans

Update to our misfortune. We have been sitting at the repair place since 9:30am. It is now 3:30pm and Britz is just now loading our exchange Campervan on a tow truck to bring to us. They say it will take 50 minutes. 7 hours out of our day, out of our dream New Zealand vacation. Britz really knows how to ruin a vacation!

Edited: 05 April 2014, 03:34
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Britz camper vans

Best not drive the Milford Road in the dark of night. The road has a high accident rate - don't add to the madness.

Simply reschedule your Milford cruise and if all else fails, claim for any missed bookings on your travel insurance.

Safe travels :)

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Britz camper vans

That seems a bit silly: they could have sent someone to collect you and take you back to the depot much more quickly and cheaply.

24. Re: Britz camper vans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 21:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Britz camper vans

We are a Taiwanese family who went to south-isand for self-drive trip on 30/Nov to 8/Dec.

We booked a 6berth camper van with Britz.

We are really unsatisfied with their car and services.

To be honest, Britz ruined our whole trip.

The first day when we got our camper van, the battery already had a problem. We were told that the camper van just didn't use for one week. It won’t be a problem. We didn't think too much at that time so we accepted and drove this car straight away. Im totally regret I didn't ask for another camper van.

On the next day we were preparing leaving Queenstown, BUT the camper van didnt work again. We called 24h assistance. They sent a mechanic come to fix the car. He said the battery was dead should change a new one. We were confused because what we were told was not a big deal. How come we need to change a new one? anyway….we already behind schedule so after the car got fixed we departed straight away. We chose to believe Britz again!

However Britz break the trust again after 2 days.

Our camper van couldn’t climb the hill. We couldn’t accelerate the car. Can you image 10 cars chased after you, but you can’t even find a safe place to parked the car.

Of course we called for assistance again. we scared and learned this time. We asked to change a new camper van, but they refused. We traveled nz as foreigner. Communication is a problem for us. The only thing we can do is accept no matter what the mechanic said. We were so frustrated.

Everyone knows how the road condition to Fox Glacier. We drove this unsafe camper van from a mountain to another. We totally scared!! Fortunately, we arrived Fox Glacier safely. We thought our car got fixed perfectly. When we left Fox Glacier to Wanaka, the car broken again!!! It was fourth time. It had the same problem like last time. We couldn’t accelerate the car to clim the hill. One staff from 24h assistance asked us try to drive to wanaka and call for assistance. When we arrived Wanaka, we were asked to wait till tomorrow coz mechanic already closed.

On the next day we were asked to get our car fix at auto shop in Wanaka. It spent around 2 hours. However the mechanic said he cant fix the car. Well……..we keep waiting and fixing our car during our whole trip. Do you know how much time we’ve wasted? We only have 9days in NZ. Because this unprofessional team we not only wasted time but money!!!!!

I’m really upset with 24h assistance team.

First. They always put me on hold, not willing to fix the problem. One staff didnt even let me finish what i want to say.

Second. They asked us to leave the camper van at Wanaka, and take a bus to Christchurch. Are you kidding me?! Are you asking us to give up our trip? Is this how you solve the problem? Im totally pissed off. They didn't give shxt on us before I asked to talk to the manager.

Britz try to compensate us with two days refund. I didnt accept. We spent 4000 per person come to nz for 9days trip. We wasted around 2 days doing nothing. We couldn’t visit Mt.cook and other places. Do you know how difficult to gather our family which is 6members together to have a trip? Do you know how hard to ask day off in our country? Do you know how much is the flight tickets? Do you know how frustrated and scared we were? Do you exactly know how we felt?

At the end… We got three days compensate. However it doesn't really help at all.

Please don’t hire car from Britz!!!! or you will have a really bad experience.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Britz camper vans

Hello BreaChen :)

I am sorry to read of your troubles with Britz. It sounds a hellish experience and I fully understand how upset and frustrated you must have been.

I shall place this thread in the FAQ box so that future visitors can know of the trouble you had with Britz.

I hope this experience hasn't turned you off NZ.

Best wishes to you and your family for your future travels :)

Oz
Level Contributor
12,385 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Britz camper vans

Hi,

Sorry you had such an unfortunate experience. Had you rented a car from one of the majors and stayed in motels as I always recommend the problems wouldn't have arisen.

I hope your experience serves as a lesson to others.

Cheers,

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Britz camper vans

Dear BreaChen

We are very sorry to read of your experience. Your email to our head office has also been received and our Customer Care Team will be responding to you and looking into the concerns you have raised.

Yours sincerely

The team at Britz

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Britz camper vans

WLnz before posting this thread on the FAQ I think it prudent and fair to seek a response from Britz. Britz are a well respected NZ campervan operator who have been in the business for a long time. I note that the poster BreaChen lists their abode as Sydney Australia but are Taiwanese and have only previous made posts regarding trips in Australia. It may not be significant but someone who lives in Australia and plays the race guard in NZ should be viewed with caution.

There are many threads pertaining to the pros and cons of campervans as has been highlighted by OZRCFLYER , I wonder if BreaCHen read any of them prior to undertaking the holiday

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Britz camper vans

My response and Britz campers must have crossed in the ether. Lets wait a while and see what responses they make.

What this matter highlights is that a complaint about a company should not be aired on forums like TA until all outstanding issues have been resolved or otherwise.

In this instance the company has been impuned on a very powerful travel forum whilst trying to resolve an issue that they are aware of. If Britz or any other organisation is unable to satisfactorily resolve an issue then the complainant may have grounds to come here but please let natural justice run its course first before slagging off reputable businesses.