We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need a urgent auckland -queenstown itinerary

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
need a urgent auckland -queenstown itinerary

me and 3 of my friends are planning to come to new zealand during Christmas- new year 2013.

25th dec-flying from Melbourne to auckland and 8th jan(back to mlb from auckland

v have booked 31 dec -jan 3 accomodation in queenstown.

as our plan was of last minute and its a busy period ,v had to book wutever days we got for flights and accomodation.the main itinerary from north to south is soo overwhelming to plan now.we mainly want to do south island.our main interests is all the adventurous activities and scenic drive.v dont want to miss cook straight ferry,marlborough region,franz joseph glacier,milford sound.

it would be a great help if anyone is able to give us some help in planning

Edited: 12 November 2013, 08:18
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: need a urgent auckland -queenstown itinerary

Ghh

Edited: 12 November 2013, 08:51
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: need a urgent auckland -queenstown itinerary

It will be rushed if you try to drive all the way to Queenstown and back. If you don't want to miss the ferry, I'd recommend going one way Auckland - Wellington by train on the 26th, a night in Wellington, then ferry the next morning. Ferry bookings will be getting full for that time period, but if you're not picking up a car till Picton that might make it easier to get tickets - there are usually some spaces for foot passengers.

From Picton, go to Blenheim (afternoon wineries), Punakaiki via Nelson Lakes or squeeze in a visit to Nelson (but this will make the next day a long drive), West Coast glaciers (2 nights), and Queenstown. It will be a bit rushed but doable.

I would fly back to Auckland from Dunedin if possible - Dunedin is a great wee city and you'll see a different side of NZ there. After Queenstown go to Te Anau for two nights (Milford day trip) and Dunedin two nights.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: need a urgent auckland -queenstown itinerary

Thanks jean. This plan seems good. We thought of flying to Wellington and then take a ferry just to cut down days on road in north island.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: need a urgent auckland -queenstown itinerary

Flying is a good option too, but on the train you get to at least see the scenery of the North Island. If your flight gets in early enough to fly on to Wellington on the day you fly in, that would be your best bet, as you don't then waste more time getting to and fro Auckland airport, and it gives you an extra day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: need a urgent auckland -queenstown itinerary

Oh v r reaching late night on 25th. So v have to fly next day. But do u think picton to queenstown can be done between 27-31 st December?Gives us 4 night stay in between. Thanks a ton jean

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: need a urgent auckland -queenstown itinerary

Also there are now no tickets available for ferry. Guess interislanders propellor has broken down. So have to wait for their new timetable!!!!!! In a fix now

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: need a urgent auckland -queenstown itinerary

Oh v r reaching late night on 25th. So v have to fly next day. But do u think picton to queenstown can be done between 27-31 st December?Gives us 4 night stay in between. Thanks a ton jean

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: need a urgent auckland -queenstown itinerary

Picton to Queenstown in four nights is rushed but doable. To see the glaciers on the way, I would do one night Blenheim, one night Punakaiki, two nights Franz Josef.

However if there are no ferry tickets left for 27th Dec, you might be able to reverse the trip. Fly south first, then after Queenstown drive to Picton, ferry to Wellington and fly to Auckland from Wellington.

If this won't work, check for flights Auckland to Nelson, or you may have to fly into Christchurch and miss the upper South Island. Unfortunately it is absolute peak season for Kiwis getting away for their summer break - many people have Christmas at home then leave around the 26th or 27th.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: need a urgent auckland -queenstown itinerary

Ya the dilemma of missing west coast and choose East is not easy because did all the research to drive west coast!! But is it worth just doing east coast ie Christchurch, Dunedin ? Correct me if I have gone wrong in geographical locations

Edited: 12 November 2013, 10:41
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: need a urgent auckland -queenstown itinerary

If you can get a flight into Christchurch you can drive Arthurs Pass to the West Coast and see the glaciers, but there won't be enough time to head north before Queenstown.

You could head north after Queenstown doing Mt Cook, Kaikoura and Marlborough, but then you won't have time for Te Anau and the south.

In the end you may have to make a decision based on what you can get in terms of flights and accommodation. The good news is, you're pretty sure to have a wonderful holiday whichever way you go. :)