We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Shoes

SAN DIEGO
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking Shoes

Okay just one more attire question! Plan on doing a lot of walking, maybe some very short hikes if I can get my husband to come along; are hiking boots necessary or are a good pair of tennis shoes sufficient? Really I have traveled but it's been awhile and the last 5 years have been mainly Hawaii and Samoa, warm and humid climates, easy packing. Am taking a good pair of water/walking shoes (Jags).

California
Level Contributor
6,777 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Shoes

Tennis shoes will be fine.

Auckland
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Shoes

You won't need full hiking boots on most of the shorter day walks, these are only necessary for the most part if you are doing an overnight hike - or one of the longer day hikes such as the Tongariro crossing. But sometimes the tracks can get a bit wet and muddy of course, so you need a show with a decent sole, and one that you won't be too upset to see gt a bit wet and muddy at the end of the day.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,456 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Shoes

Whatever shoes you decide to bring with you, remember to give then a good clean before your arrival to comply with NZ's strict biosecurity regulations.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,706 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Shoes

Hi,

Waterproof Merrel low cut walking shoes or similar will be fine. It is only on the longer/steeper walks that you could use ankle support.

Cheers,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,320 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Shoes

I also like Merrell or similar with good tread. Ankle support is important if you are doing the longer, full day or steep walks like Avalanche Peak or the Tongariro Crossing.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking Shoes

I do most of my summer hiking in trail runners these days, even on multi-day trips. If you are wearing shoes rather than boots on a track that has lots of scree/shingle, puttees or gaiters to keep it out of your shoes are handy.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,113 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking Shoes

They really do check your shoes! We used an old toothbrush and got them clean.

8. Re: Hiking Shoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 06:20