We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunedin to Christchurch

Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Dunedin to Christchurch

My schedule has three days and nights to drive from Dunedin to Christchurch before flying home. Would like to stay somewhere and relax for a couple of days but unsure which way to go. Omaru was one thought but not sure if there is much there - any other suggestions please?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunedin to Christchurch

Where else have you been?

Post your entire itinerary so we can help you best :)

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunedin to Christchurch

Oamaru is a great place to visit with the historic precinct to explore, a blue penguin colony, the Whitestone Cheese factory and a shop where you can learn to ride a penny farthing.

They also have a very entertaining steampunk festival if you manage to go at the right time of year.

http://www.visitoamaru.co.nz/home.aspx

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,528 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunedin to Christchurch

Which way are you getting to Dunedin? Have you considered Waitaki Valley & Mt Cook.

Orlando, Florida
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunedin to Christchurch

I'd highly recommend the otago highlands in Dunedin, can easily spend a day there.

Otherwise, have you considered going to Chch on a different route? Maybe past by Queenstown, wanaka, tekapo, mt cook?

More interesting drive but less time to absorb everything.

Normally you can drive to chch in 8 hours or under from Dunedin. That's really half a day. If you want to fully see both Dunedin and Christchurch with the rest of your time, yeah Oamaru and Timaru is worth a drive by with a handful of quick activities to do.

Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunedin to Christchurch

Sorry I should have mentioned we are on the tail end of a four week tour round the South. Have been through Christchurch via Geraldine, Lake Tekapo, Mt Cook, Wanaka, Queenstown, Invercargill, Dunedin.

Think we might have a look around Omaru and perhaps overnight a little further along before heading for Akaroa - any nice waterfront accommodation you recommend there?

Loving NZ, will write a trip report when we get home.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunedin to Christchurch

On the drive to Oamaru, good stops are Katiki Point (lighthouse, wildlife) and the Moeraki Boulders. The Kakanui coast road is more scenic than driving inland.

In Oamaru, there are lovely historic buildings, gardens, some good cafes and restaurants, and a pretty little harbour to stroll around. I'm looking forward to checking out the new Steampunk HQ when I'm there this summer.

Inland from Oamaru, around Duntroon, there are interesting geological sights. Elephant Rocks is the well-known place but if you go to the Vanished World Centre in Duntroon they have trail maps. There are a couple of Maori rock art sites around there too.

Driving up from Oamaru, you could make for Akaroa, which is a very pretty spot. The road across the plains is boring but straightforward, followed by a surprisingly long and winding but pretty drive around the peninsula to Akaroa.

Another option is to go inland to Peel Forest, the Ashburton Lakes/Mt Sunday, Rakaia Gorge and/or Castle Hill.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunedin to Christchurch

I can recommend The Criterion motel in Akaroa.Not totally waterfront but our top floor studio room with balcony looked out over the harbour.Nice and spacious too.

I can also recommend Ma Maison for dinner.Now, that has tables outside right near the water.

Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dunedin to Christchurch

Thank you all for your helpful input. Took mummygoat's suggestion and booked into Criterion Motel in Akaroa. It is in a lovely quiet spot, had room no. 1 on the ground floor with a courtyard and looking right over the harbour, it is a lovely spacious room close to everything. Found the Beach street part of town to be very noisy especially when cruise boats were in port.

Ate at Ma Maison, absolutely beautiful dinner, food was the best I've had for a while. Couldn't sit outside though as it was raining.

9. Re: Dunedin to Christchurch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 06:21