We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First NZ Family Holiday

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
First NZ Family Holiday

Hi there,

My family (hubby, two boys 12, & 8 and myself) are planning a three week trip to NZ next August 2014.

I'm planning 7 days North Island, 7 days South Island (via motorhome) and 7 days on the snow. (Staying in an apartment)

I have been told two weeks travel is not enough and should be spend all on the South Island, I would really like to tick a few things off my wish list for the North Island if possible?

I know my time is very limited, so don't want to waste any time going to places that are monotonous... Can someone please advise any North Islands MUST SEE's for Families?

See below my flexible itinerary.... Please feel free to give advice!

Ok so we would fly SYD – AKL

Hire a campervan for 14 days, hit the road running, Head to Waitomo Caves, Rotorua, Lake Taupo, then to Wellington.

Still having a great debate as what to do with the South Island for the seven days. Keeping in mind we will stay at Queenstown for the week while we are hitting the snow fields.

There is so much I want to do ... West Coast is a must... But how do I fit in the East Coast? lol

After a fun filled week at Queenstown doing all the adventure things and hitting the snow...

Fly Back to SYD.

Please help me plan the best NZ holiday ever... thanks in advance.

Leah

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: First NZ Family Holiday

I've been travelling in NZ for decades and I still haven't seen/done it all. :)

Oz
Level Contributor
12,293 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First NZ Family Holiday

,Hi Happy_Holidayz2012,

I think you need to read your posts more carefully if you wish to convey what you are thinking rather than what you are writing. I don't think you will find either Denali 68 or Poppynz are travel agents but IMHO they did give you good advice which you ignored.

Cheers

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,301 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First NZ Family Holiday

thanks ozcflyer. Definitely not a travel agent. But I am one very successful organiser of our family holidays which includes tramping, camping, outdoors, resorts, cabins, campervans at least 5 or 6 times a year around various parts of nz. In addition we travel overseas for family holidays at least twice a year. definitely a local kiwi. but have lived in other places in the world during our OE.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First NZ Family Holiday

Ozrcflyer

Let me be clear...

My original comment was about LOCAL travel agents and real life friends here in Australia.

I was shocked that no one had told me here in Australia that campervaning in NZ in Late August would be dangerous and too cold.

SO... I was saying thanks to the the people who brought that to my attention.

I also said I will look into accommodation options away from campervans.

How is that ignoring their posts?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First NZ Family Holiday

Ozrcflyer

Let me be clear...

My original comment was about LOCAL travel agents and real life friends here in Australia.

I was shocked that no one had told me here in Australia that campervaning in NZ in Late August would be dangerous and too cold.

SO... I was saying thanks to the the people on trip adviser who brought that to my attention.

I also said I will look into accommodation options away from campervans.

How is that ignoring their posts?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First NZ Family Holiday

<<Fantastic idea about flying into Dunedin & out of Christchurch >>

We did something similar on our first trip to NZ as we wanted to see what it was like and see a bit of everything so flew into Dunedin for 2.5 days and then to Christchurch. I liked Dunedin, if you go be sure to go to Baldwyn street for the kids and I did like the Speights brewery tour and dinner afterwards.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First NZ Family Holiday

We have totally scrapped North Island now and going to spend three weeks on the south. Now to work out the itinerary again.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: First NZ Family Holiday

I think that's wise. With wanting time for skiing, three weeks is a short enough time. And also, the South Island scenery is so stunning in winter, it's a good idea to make the most of it during your winter trip. The North Island is nicer in summer, with the beaches and puhutukawa and all.

South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: First NZ Family Holiday

I prefer the North Island. The South Island has gotten really touristy, in my opinion.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: First NZ Family Holiday

Touristy John?

how so?

where did you go?