We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling from Europe to NZ Marlborough

Lisbon, Portugal
3 posts
Save Topic
travelling from Europe to NZ Marlborough

Hello everybody,

In your opinion, what is the best way to travel from Europe to Marlborough?

If that matters, I would be leaving from Lisbon, Portugal. But I am not sure what option would be the best:

1.Should I fly to Auckland and then take some train/bus/ferry to Marlborough?

2. Is it quicker/cheaper is I fly to somewhere in Australia (which city would be the best?) and then buy a separate ticket to Marlborough?

3. Or should I fly from Lisbon to a big European airport, say London or Frankfurt, and then buy a flight to Marlborough? This one might sound funny if the local airport turns out to be very small...

I was checking on some big motor engines for flights and Marlborough didn't even appear as a destination.

Thanks!

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling from Europe to NZ Marlborough

Marlborough is a region. Blenheim is the name of the airport. It is not an international airport and you would need to connect via Auckland, Christchurch or Wellington.

Lisbon, Portugal
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling from Europe to NZ Marlborough

And do you think that the time/price ratio makes it worth to fly instead of taking train/bus/ferry?

California
Level Contributor
6,573 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling from Europe to NZ Marlborough

Is there no where else in New Zealand you want to go?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
744 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling from Europe to NZ Marlborough

You would need to do your own research on the best air travel price to get to NZ as there are a lot of variables involved ie date, stopovers etc You sound very vague about your plans so maybe a travel agent would be of help to you and could give you the best options.

As Weta has said, you would need to fly into Wellington, Auckland or Christchurch and then again it is a matter of your preference whether you fly or go by road to Blenheim. It may help us to know what the reason for you to choose Marlborough is.

Lisbon, Portugal
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling from Europe to NZ Marlborough

Yes, there are several places I would like to visit in NZ but I would not go as a regular tourist. I would be an intern in the wine business in Marlborough and travel with some heavy luggage from Europe. I think I will be tired and totally jetlagged with more than 24h of travelling. Maybe it's better to drop all my bags first and then take some time to travel around during weekends and breaks.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling from Europe to NZ Marlborough

If you're doing a long haul with heavy luggage, I think flying all the way will make the most sense, to avoid having to carry the luggage around while you change modes of transport. You could look at various options for flights on a site like Skyscanner. The cheapest way to fly will depend on your dates, and you may prefer a slightly more expensive option if it has fewer stops and/or gets you there quicker.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling from Europe to NZ Marlborough

Hi Vera, You could fly from Lisbon to Heathrow London with TAP and then with Air New Zealand to Blenheim.This obviously would mean a connecting flight in Auckland but apart from getting off the plane for two hours in LA you would be on the same flight,roughly two sections of about 11 hours.You can stretch your legs and have access to the shops now in LA.You would need to apply for an Esta (visa waiver) even when in transit through USA.

Both TAP and Air New Zealand are in the Star Alliance so if you are not a member,join and get your airmiles credited to you .

Also,you could get advice on international flights on the air forum.

8. Re: travelling from Europe to NZ Marlborough

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 05:17