We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikes in the rain

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Hikes in the rain

Hi All,

Just wondering if the following 2 hikes are still doable in the rain?

Mueller Hut trail

Roys Peak

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikes in the rain

They are still doable, but the views won't be so good. If it is seriously raining enough so the mountains can't be seen I wouldn't make the effort.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikes in the rain

Hi,

Telly N makes a very good point. If the weather is "socked in" you aren't going to see anything however at altitude the weather changes so rapidly that we have often experienced perfect vis and almost "white out" in the space of a few minutes.

I would be guided by the weather bureau, if it's windy and moving rapidly the walks are "worth a punt". If it is socked in and predicted to stay that way there isn't much point.

Cheers,

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikes in the rain

I wouldn't do Mueller Hut in the rain. Above Sealy Tarns there is only a poled route, so you could get lost in poor visibility, and at that altitude a night out in the open in bad weather could well kill you. And I don't see the point of putting myself through such a hard slog of a climb if there won't be any views to reward me.

When it's raining I try to choose low-altitude trails, preferably in the forest. The beech forest is still pretty in the rain.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikes in the rain

Some very valid points given.

Are there any forests in close proximity to Wanaka and Mt Cook?

As suggested, I am looking at the weather forecasts, and it forecasts it to have 'light rain" on the days I am at the locations. I know we are still a couple of weeks away and that the forecasts are not as accurate, but I'd still like to have a plan B just in case the weather does against me.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hikes in the rain

It's always a good idea to have a Plan B in NZ. Around Mt Cook the only piece of forest is Governor's Bush, which only take about half an hour to walk around, but any of the valley walks might not be unpleasant.

From Wanaka, most of the trails leading off the Haast Road go through bush, and of course the waterfall walks are better in the rain. If you don't mind paying for a jetboat in, Siberia Valley would be a good choice too. http://www.wilkinriverjets.co.nz/access.html

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hikes in the rain

Thanks Jean W!

Yes I absolutely love waterfalls, and with all the rain in the leading weeks will make them more lively.

What are the names of some waterfall walks? I'd like to do a bit of research on them.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hikes in the rain

Fantail Falls, Thunder Falls, Roaring Billy, Depot Creek. None are world famous or anything, but nice walks through the bush for a rainy day. …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hikes in the rain

Thanks for the info Jean W,

They do look very interesting, and on rainy days getting out there is better than being stuck in your room.

Now regarding the Haast Pass: Will the road be closed after 5pm? I remember reading something about that road a few months back. I'm not sure if the road closure is still in effect after 5pm.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hikes in the rain

Do a google search. Coaster posted recently about extended opening hours of Haast Pass for the holiday season.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hikes in the rain

Ask at the info centre to be sure, but I think it was only closed past Gates of Haast. So if you worked from the far end back you'd be back on the right side of the works before it closed for the evening. This is one of our rainy day plans for when we're in Wanaka this summer.